PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Yellow Zonker!!!!

Rick Markham
12-08-2012, 5:41 PM
So I was torn between which one to post next, as both of these are tied for my favorites of the bunch. This one has my favorite finial of the group, I think the art deco flair on the classic shape works the best especially with these shorter forms.

Screaming Yellow Zonker 7 3/4" tall, 3 1/2" diameter. Blackwood cap, with American Holly finial. Transtint dyes (with my process) finish is Woodturner's finish.

C&C is always welcome and appreciated (I'm serious Mike... lay it on me!!! ;):p)
Thanks for looking and any and all comments!

David E Keller
12-08-2012, 7:35 PM
I like the color combo, Rick! The collar and finial seem a bit abrupt relative to the smooth curve of the main form, and I'm a bottom tucker. I think the finial would make for an interesting stand-alone piece if scaled up a bit... It's got moxie! We've all got different muses, so that's just what mine is telling me.

I haven't been around SMC much lately, so I'm not familiar with your dye process... Whatever it is, it makes for a striking yellow color.

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2012, 7:37 PM
The finial kicks butt! The onion actually looks like an onion. Very different but I like it. Could be, perhaps, a tad smaller but it still kicks butt. The color I'm not too hot on. It is, as your title suggests, "screaming yellow" but, for me, it kind of overpowers the whole thing.

Donny Lawson
12-08-2012, 9:03 PM
Great piece. How in the heck did you get the finial so small????????????????????????????????????

Dick Mahany
12-08-2012, 9:18 PM
Rick,

I find this form and collar particularly attractive. The color is interesting ( but I love your other most recent blues / purples even more). As for the finial, I'm still struggling to find designs that I like and this one is quite interesting, although I like many of your previous versions better. (Just an honest opinion, from a guy who still can't make a finial that I like, no matter how hard I've tried :o) I do like seeing pics of your new works, so please keep them coming as I'm going to school on so many of you talented Creekers !!

Roger Chandler
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I have looked at this form probably 8 times tonight........Rick, your work is outstanding! The color has a brilliance to it that highlights the burl grain.....[wowzers!] .......the collar continues the curve fairly well on top of the form.......the finial.....now that is different.............good, and well executed!

I think I am having trouble with all the elements as a whole unit.......while all are skillfully done, they seem to oppose one another, and that may have been the very effect you were going for. While we normally look for flow in a piece, this one, while it is so skillfully done and so brilliantly finished.....just misses the aspect of "flow" .....at least for me. Likely this is due to my own preconceived ideas about form.......catagories, where does this fit in? Would it be called art-deco. or some other style? I don't have a reference point for the combination..........that is me, not your work, which again I repeat....is very well done!

My initial reaction to this was two-fold.......first, I was, and still am impressed with the piece.......second, I draw questions as it does not fit the catagories in my head! You are an art student, Rick........perhaps this was the intent you desired all along........something different, yet familiar.....a dichotomy in presence........:confused:

I think I will quit before I embarrass myself! :o

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Rick. The form has a great flow. But for me the finial kills the over all piece. I 'm just calling it as I see it through my eye's. That said keep them coming experimentation is a great thing.

Harry Robinette
12-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Rick
By Jov I think you got it. Really is a fabulous piece of work and your finials are fantastic.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Rick - this is a very interesting piece! Your dye work is top notch once again but I do have to admit that screaming yellow is probably not my favorite at this point. The finial is unique and has an Indian (as in India) flavor to it. I agree with David that perhaps the onion portion could be slightly smaller but other than that one small nit - the finial is really cool! I am not sure why you went with the Blackwood cap... it creates such a stark contrast between the dye and the Holly that it effectively cuts the form into 3 pieces at that point. Just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

John Beaver
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Alright Rick you asked for it. Here's my opinion. Take it for what its worth. You have great potential so we are all rooting for you.

To me the piece is about the color and the top should accent it. You have 2 tops and that is at least one too many. The black wood top by itself would be a nice addition but even it doesn't really flow with the piece. The finial is kind of out of left field and doesn't really make any sense to me. It doesn't tie into the piece at all, and looks kind of stuck on top. The bulb either needs to replicate the shape of the form, or flow into it somehow. Overall just too much going on in a small space which detracts from the elegance of the body.

Dave Mueller
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Rick,
The color and finish are over the top. It looks like it is about an inch deep... would love to see it in person.
Dave

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2012, 11:19 PM
I like the HF and color. I have to agree that a black collar would have beem all that was needed.

Baxter Smith
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Ceratinly an apt title Rick! Since I am not much of a yellow fan(and especially screaming):), that part is a little hard to look past.

I am not very imaginative so I find the extreme color contrast between all three elements to be a bit much. Maybe its just the bold color, but I wish the pictures weren't quite so cropped. I find myself wishing I could step back a bit and take a look.

Rick Markham
12-09-2012, 1:32 AM
Thanks y'all! For all of the comments. I figured this one would stir the pot a bit. It's pretty yellow, for the record I like it. I agree with the three things going on, it's busy and detracts. You will have to endure one final one with 3 elements. I also agree that a simple blackwood collar would finish these the best. The next round will be made with collars :) I do really like the way this finial came out. My personal nit pick on it, is I didn't relieve the bottom enough for it to sit completely flush.

Peter Blair
12-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Great piece Rick, pros and cons aside I just LOVE to see what you will come up with next.

charlie knighton
12-09-2012, 1:39 PM
it catches the eye, i like a dull finish, so............very nice form, i like the finile but maybe on another form, or just make it shorter, finile and yellow both try to glab you, they fight each other

Jim Burr
12-09-2012, 1:47 PM
Hmmm...I like the finial...very Soviet!! But three colors competing for attention may not work. The collar or finial could be eliminated, just focus on the grain and a color compliment maybe. If the finial were black, it'd be a great Bumble Bee stinger!

Timothy Mann
12-09-2012, 7:48 PM
Outstanding piece love the color!