PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollow form with Acrylic

Ricc Havens
12-08-2012, 4:49 PM
THis is my second hollow form (5th attempts!!). Comments and critiques appreciated

Thanks goes to Jim Combs who was kind enough to send me a piece of acrylic to try (not to mention that he threw in some other goodies) for this novice turner. Also, thanks goes to Steve Schlumpf for advice on turning acrylic - his vessels with acrylic finials were my inspiration.

The form is cherry 4" wide and total height with finial is 7-1/2". Finial base is ebonized walnut. 4 coats of Woodturners finish and beall buffed.

Not 100% happy with the finial form (Heck it's only my 4th one if you include the finials I did on some Christmas ornaments). SORRY as I don't have a photo tent. Also, I couldn't get this to rotate. On my computer and on photobucket.com it shows properly but when I upload it to the Creek it kept rotating it horizontal.

Thanks
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN

James Combs
12-08-2012, 5:01 PM
Here you go. Glad to help out.
Nice looking and one of my favorite woods.

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 6:10 PM
Ricc, how did you get it to stick to the wall? :D And I'm sending you my chiropractor bill...

Nice finish and form. Not sure I'm a fan of the acrylic. But the size and shape look good to me.

Harry Robinette
12-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Ricc
That is an excellent #2 or 5 try.Love the shape.( with it off the wall and back on the table)

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Ricc - you did good! Nice HF and you did get the acrylic to look like glass! About the only suggestion I can offer would be next time - blend the area where the finial meets the lid so that the two pieces flow together as opposed to one sitting on top of the other. Hope that makes sense...

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Really nice looking HF. Well done for a second.

Baxter Smith
12-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Very nicely done Ricc. I like all three elements!

Dennis Ford
12-09-2012, 7:42 AM
The hollow form looks great, I like the lid but am not sure about acrylic on this piece.

Ricc Havens
12-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Ricc - you did good! Nice HF and you did get the acrylic to look like glass! About the only suggestion I can offer would be next time - blend the area where the finial meets the lid so that the two pieces flow together as opposed to one sitting on top of the other. Hope that makes sense...

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Steve - i turned the acrylic independent of the walnut base disc. So I was concerned about getting a good match and blending with the curve of the walnut. Do you glue your acrylic to the base and then turn it?

James - Thanks for rotating pic. I couldn't seem to figure it out as it showed correctly on my desktop and on photobicket. but would flip when uploaded to the Creek.

Mike - sorry on a fixed budget. Chirporactor bills are on your own!!

Everyone else - Thanks for the nice comments from everyone else. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for acrylic rod?

Thanks
Ricc