PDA

View Full Version : Ornament #1

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2012, 3:46 PM
I have a confession to make. When I first took to the lathe, I thought the idea of making ornaments to be a bit… well… trite I guess would be the word. But over the last couple of years when Christmas rolls around and people once again start posting pictures of ornaments, I started looking at them more closely. And I realized that these little jewels can be… well… little jewels. Of course there are the "acknowledged masters" of this form who make beautifully detailed ornaments, Cindy Drozda, Mac Ray, John Lucas and others. And then there the somewhat "lesser known" artists like Curt Fuller, Marshall Gorrow, Scott Hackler and too many others to name who have refined personal styles and who make delightful ornaments. And then there is the occasional "stroke of brilliance" like the recently posted M&C Gibson ornaments that take the whole concept up a notch or two.

All of this has combined for me with the challenge of making something so small and light while still keeping everything flowing and in proportion. I just could not resist the temptation to try one. There is much room for improvement but it's a start. Also, this month marks our 40th anniversary and I wanted to make something "special" for my wife. Hey… I know… it's no romantic vacation in France. Maybe next year!

The tools I have are much too large for this type of work but I managed make a couple work by regrinding the profiles. I also beat one of my home made "vortex" style tools into a mini hook tool to use to hollow the globe through a 3/16" hole. I'm not sure how thin the walls are because I don't have a caliper that small and still need to make a couple. But the "tap test" indicated that it's pretty thin. I think "pretty thin" is good enough for my first one! The bulb is 2" in diameter and the ornament is 5" long. Dyed maple burl, ebony and silver. It does not conform to the idea that a lighter colored ornament would be easier to see against a green background. Kind of a "stealth" ornament. Maybe I'll get one of those white trees.

Now… next I think I'm going to try turning a vegetable…

Roger Chandler
12-08-2012, 3:54 PM
Well, David...........I think you have a sure winner here......no surprise there with your work. the elongated form of the bulb....not a style you see everyday, but it does work and the silver color on the bead contrast nicely with the icicle. The purple color is a great choice, and this is overall a very nice piece! One tiny nit to pic.......for a first this is superb! The nit...I think the bulb on the onion going down below the silver bead could be a little less in diameter......to continue the flow....that is hard to do......I know from experience.

This is really nice......look forward to your next few!!!

jwjerry w kowalski
12-08-2012, 4:36 PM
Beautiful ornament, flowing lines, elegant and extremely well done finial and a superb finish, what else is left to do right?

Allan Ferguson
12-08-2012, 4:41 PM
Very classy as usual.

Doug W Swanson
12-08-2012, 5:35 PM
I agree with Roger about the bulb being smaller but that about the only nit pick I can see, too. The color is nice and the form flows well from top to bottom. Great job for your first!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-08-2012, 8:00 PM
Double D, Turned Christmas ornaments have come a long way because good turners keep raising the bar, as you just did with this one.
faust

Donny Lawson
12-08-2012, 8:56 PM
It looks to be a very good job. I like the curves and the contrasting colors.

Curt Fuller
12-08-2012, 9:05 PM
Like everything you do David, you've hit this one out of the park. That's one of the prettiest ornaments I've seen.

Dick Mahany
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I really like this piece !! Looks like purple garlique gone wild. The form is perfect.

I think the proportions, shape and flow of the finial elements have a subtle elegance. Must have been great fun to create.

Dave Mueller
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
David,
Great transition from the body into the top finial...it flows perfectly. The silver bead is a nice surprise, as is the break from the traditional round ornament. This takes ornaments to the next level.
Dave

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
DD that is one beautiful ornament. Yep out of the ball park.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
The first word I thought of when seeing this really cool ornament was 'Style'! It definitely has it!! Love the almost liquid quality to the form! Beautiful work - as always David!

Baxter Smith
12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Sure looks like your work David! Hope your cat doesn't knock over the tree.

Michelle Rich
12-09-2012, 6:37 AM
I agree with Steve, the critter has style. I put my finger over the icicle,(covering from the bead down) and I have to admit, I like it without. Maybe if the black below the bead was a tad thinner, I would feel it balanced out better..dunno. Having said that, if you do have a white tree, this will be a standout. Congrats on 40, that is a milestone.