PDA

View Full Version : Mixed emotions...

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Most of you probably know about the PM90 that I restored and brought into the 20th century. I had recently put it up for sale. I had some offers, but none that were acceptable. A gentleman came over today, eager and excited. He left with my baby. I'm happy to have found a home for it with someone that I believe appreciates it as much as I do. But I have to admit that I'm quite sad to see it go. Where it sat in my shop is not the only empty space right now...

Thom Sturgill
12-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I hope you got good money for it to put toward an upgrade. You did a fine looking job on the restore.

Richard Jones
12-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm sure the sale was bittersweet. Sounds like it got a good home, and I hope that is some comfort.

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Thom, I did get my asking price, so, yeah, I thought it was fair. As for the upgrade, I already have it. I think I posted about it already, but maybe I haven't. Now that I think about it, no I didn't. And I think I hadn't because I still have a little painting to do on it. Spoiler alert, it is custom, and has a 28" swing...

Richard, the good home (and a beer in my hand) is what is softening the blow the most right now. Money is great, but honestly, even for what I got for it, considering the time I put in (not to mention others that helped me!), it isn't like I could make a living out of restoring old machines.

Roger Chandler
12-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Mike........I offer you both my condolences and my congratulations ...........I understand the feeling after having put so much of yourself into something and then see it leave..........

Yet there are new horizons in the future...........embrace them and as you rise to your potential with the new "custom" lathe, then you will find healing for the empty space, both in your heart and shop. When one door closes, another one opens.....

Looking forward to both some pics and some of your work as you move forward! :)

Brian Brown
12-08-2012, 1:33 PM
Sorta like raising a daughter and marrying her off. You hope that her new husband takes as good of care of her as you would, but you still miss her. Wow, I didn't know I had it in me to be that metaphorical. Scares me a bit. There is a hit country song in here somewhere. Just need to get a good twang and steel guitar going.

Looking forward to your next "project".

Peter Elliott
12-08-2012, 1:38 PM
Time and beer cure anything. ;)

Your lathe went a great home. Keep in mind the little boy will be turning on that for a long time and both will share some awesome father-son time as well.
I was very impressed with the little man.

Tony De Masi
12-08-2012, 1:44 PM
Oh please......

Jim Burr
12-08-2012, 1:55 PM
Guns must be different. I was offered a crazy amount for an 7.62x39 I rebuilt years ago. I had no trouble pocketing the cash & heading to the shop to get a new lower for my next M4 build. But that maybe why I still have my little Jet!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-08-2012, 2:01 PM
Beer! Did someone say beer is a cure for the "sold lathe blues"? Quick, someone buy my lathe. NOT!
faust

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 2:04 PM
Peter is referring to the gentleman's son. Peter, BTW came over to help me get the lathe loaded onto to the guy's tailer. (I had knee surgery a week and a half ago.) And he couldn't be more right about that kid. Well behaved, bright, and respectful. He gave a good hand shake, looked you in the eye, never whined a BIT when "lathe talk" rambled on and on. As I was explaining every little nuance regarding this lathe, the little man (8 years old, I believe I was told), paid close attention and really seemed like he was learning. A fine member of society that one will turn out to be!

Yeah, already had a beer, Peter, just need more time. ;)

Roger, thanks. I appreciate your caring.

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 2:10 PM
Brian, funny you made that analogy. :D Though I have no kids, I jokingly thought of the same thing. Though kids don't often MAKE you money when you sell them, I mean when they fly the coupe.

Tony, spoken like a true "buy it new" guy!

Jim, I don't know that I could part with my .357... Got it the day I legally could. It is my baby! :D

Yes, beer is the answer, Faust! That's what I keep telling myself. Well, I say time is a factor, too, but it takes time to drink a lot of beer...right? ;)

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 6:11 PM
Well, I was completely wrong! It wasn't time or beer that would help sooth the loss. It WAS, however a picture that the gentleman sent me of his awesome son turning on the lathe this afternoon. I'm doing better now. :)

Roger Chandler
12-08-2012, 6:16 PM
Well, I was completely wrong! It wasn't time or beer that would help sooth the loss. It WAS, however a picture that the gentleman sent me of his awesome son turning on the lathe this afternoon. I'm doing better now. :)

Can you post that pic from your email? You know.........we love pics! :)

Rick Markham
12-08-2012, 6:19 PM
It's going somewhere where it will be equally loved I'm sure! Congrats on the new one! Make some curlies, it always makes me feel better!

David E Keller
12-08-2012, 7:24 PM
Sorta like raising a daughter and marrying her off. You hope that her new husband takes as good of care of her as you would, but you still miss her. Wow, I didn't know I had it in me to be that metaphorical. Scares me a bit. There is a hit country song in here somewhere. Just need to get a good twang and steel guitar going.

Looking forward to your next "project".

I've got a two year old daughter... I don't have that much invested in her yet, so I'd be willing to let her go cheap.;)

Russell Eaton
12-08-2012, 7:27 PM
Mike it sounds like the vortex just claimed another victim!

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 9:14 PM
Roger, I might have time tomorrow to see if I can get it from my phone (he texted it to me) to my email and to the forum...

Thanks, Rick. Yeah, that is making it all easier to swallow. I've used the new one already, but admit that it still needs a little paint. Who knows, I might get to that next or the following week.

Russell, you have no idea. This gentleman had gotten an inexpensive lathe as a gift, and quickly outgrew it (tube type). He's definitely bitten. But by the looks of things, between he and his son, TWO are bitten!

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 9:16 PM
You're the best, Keller! Hey, considering what you will spend out of pocket for the next 19 years (college, too...don't forget ;)), you should consider yourself lucky to get a few bucks for her now. Heck, you should PAY someone to take her. That way it would save you a couple of hundred grand. Think of the turning tools you could get!

Jim Burr
12-08-2012, 9:32 PM
I've got a two year old daughter... I don't have that much invested in her yet, so I'd be willing to let her go cheap.;)

Do it now and avoid the rush:eek:!!! Paying for the second wedding in a 6 month span:(...there will be a collection plate going around at the end of this thread;)

Curt Fuller
12-08-2012, 9:36 PM
After putting that much TLC into that PM90, I think I would have just worked it into the living room decor or something. What you going to replace it with?

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 9:41 PM
You didn't see it on WTA? Well, you can either look for it, or wait until it is painted and I post. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! !!!!!:D

Roger Chandler
12-08-2012, 9:45 PM
You didn't see it on WTA? Well, you can either look for it, or wait until it is painted and I post. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! !!!!!:D

Well, I wanna know what color the monster will be? Surely not mustard, perhaps you have some of the paint left over from the PM90........mayo color......that slate gray of the RB Am.Beauty? ...........nah, be adventurous.......go with something totally unique! Pics, Mike.......Pics! Or it didn't happen! :p

Jamie Donaldson
12-08-2012, 9:54 PM
Sounds like you did a good thing for all concerned Mike, and a ready replacement lathe will soften the lonesome feeling and empty spot in the shop. I know exactly your sense of loss about replacing a lathe over which you've toiled for many hours, and that's why I still have lathes 4,5,6, and 7 in the shop. Hard to part with old friends!;)

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 9:54 PM
Oh, IT HAPPENED! Patience, Roger. I'll post when the painting is all done. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Dick Mahany
12-08-2012, 9:55 PM
Mike,
I followed your painstaking restoration thread on that PM90 with great interest. You did a fabulous job and I'm sure the new owner will get many many hours/years of satisfaction from it. Although it must have been VERY hard to let go, we must remeber that we can only hold onto the past in memories, as that is what is most important. Now think.......what opportunities and challenges will the next chapter bring ? !! Continue to inspire and enjoy :)

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 9:58 PM
See, Jamie, you're making me feel better already...that I have only 4 lathes in the shop now. Though another is hopefully soon to be on its way to a new home. So, only three, right? That ain't so bad... I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for another! :eek:

Mike Cruz
12-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Dick. It is nice to hear that you followed (and remember) the restoration. I'll keep my sights forward. Again, thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
That is great that you got of picture of the son turning. Should make you feel much better.