PDA

View Full Version : Added some Tools ( small gloat )

Harry Robinette
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Finally I got a carving stand,I picked-up a T.Bosch man are this things built. Also got a holding tower for my Foredom and Dereml with the hand piece holder. I took the magnetic bars out from holding my tools and put the old board with holes in. The
magnetic bars were magnetizing my tools and they were sticking to the tool rest. I never thought that they would transfer that much magnetizime from just holding the tool. Also got a full set of 2 3/8 and 3 3/8 Gold sanding disc from Vince. Now all I got to do is get back to turning again and I'll be all set.
Harry

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Harry,
It sounds like Christmas came early in the Robinette shop. Enjoy all that stuff in good health.
faust

Mike Cruz
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Carving stand? Holding tower? Sanding disc? Hmmmm. Must be a problem with my monitor. I don't see anything like that on the screen ... :rolleyes:

Harry Robinette
12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
OOP'S forgot the pic's.

Roger Chandler
12-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice Harry! I would like to see a pic of that tool holder from a longer distance from the camera, to show the whole thing.....might be an idea someone could use in their shop!

Scott Hackler
12-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I have on of those arving stands from Trent and they are very nice (and handy!). I thought you were looking at a piercing setup...... :)

Harry Robinette
12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Scott
Well felt I'd get more from this stuff. I have a dental drill but the bearing in front is going bad, hopeing it will last tell I get more money.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2012, 8:46 AM
Congrats on the new tools Harry! I have a friend that has one of the carving stands from Trent and he swears by it! You'll have to let us know how well you like using it after you have worked with it some! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2012, 9:34 AM
Congrats Harry. Looks like Christmas came early for you.

John W Dixon
12-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Harry that looks like a great set up! I took a hands on class with Trent this fall and that carving stand is a fantastic piece of equipment. Definitely on my short list of tools that I need (want:))! Congrats and enjoy.

Thom Sturgill
12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
That stand has been on my want list for a while. I just got a bunch of burrs (was hoping to get into a workshop with Dixie Biggs at the Fl symposium, but they were sold out) so I went ahead and did some carving, holding the piece by hand. A mount just went up several positions on my list. I like the way you mounted it, full use of the workbench when the mount is stored!

As to the magnetic tool holder, I always thought they were a bad idea. If you drag the tool across it when you remove them, the magnet will impart some magnetism to the tool. I used to do that with a nail and magnet as a kid. That must change the crystaline structure of the steel, which the forging, hardening and tempering processes work to create.

Harry Robinette
12-08-2012, 5:37 PM
Hopeing to start back in the shop next week. Just been puttering trying to get things into place.
A buddy came over today and help me cut 3 cherry blanks,they'll make 14" or 16" bowls so I have something to start back on.
Thom: the magnets cause the tools to stick to the tool rest. I have enough trouble with-out that happening.
All: I've heard allot about Trent's carving stand I'll let you know how I like it after I get a chance to try it out. I had to put the caving stand somewhere so!!!

mark ravensdale
12-10-2012, 1:24 PM
I too have used those magnetic bars to help hold my turning tools, never noticed them magnetising my tools but have noticed that they attract metal dust/particles after grinding/sharpening (never realised there was that much metal dust in the air, good job I always wear a respirator !!!)