PDA

View Full Version : Apple wood.

Carl Beckett
12-07-2012, 7:08 PM
Since I live in town with a lot of orchards, and saw a post a while back on the desire ability of Apple wood - I started looking for neighbors and such that might have a downed tree.

Then the other day on the way to get the xmas tree, I go past the local orchard and there is an entire field of old apple trees they have cut down to replant.

They are cutting it up and selling it for firewood. Told me to give them a call if I want any (seemed pleased that there might be a chance for it to go to something besides firewood). I would bet if we sent some type of letter of thanks and pictures or explanations of what it went for, we could get for free (or there abouts)

So: Is anyone interested? Right now it just a bunch of downed trees. Some cut into firewood. I might be inclined to resaw some and let it dry a bit, but I understand the turners here might want it green.

This is north of Boston, MA. But smaller pieces I recon if someone wants to help out we could just ship around to those interested.

EDIT: 12/8 Note Jim went up and picked up a couple pieces. Not free, but didnt seem too unreasonable either (basically they are selling it for firewood)

Paul Symchych
12-07-2012, 8:01 PM
I've never used it but understand that it is a premium wood for music instruments [woodwinds], and fine -if smallish- projects. Something like jewelry boxes comes to mind.
The very fine grain makes it useful to artists doing woodcut printing. That and pear wood.

The tastiest use would be to get a whole bunch of it and a smoker to make apple smoked bacon.

fRED mCnEILL
12-07-2012, 8:36 PM
Unfortunately, being on the West coast its a little out of my area. However when I redid my Kitchen I bulit the drawer sides out of applewood. Its the most beautiful wood I ever worked with. Every time you open a drawer there is the nice figured wood that is ever bit as nice as the cabinet doors etc.

Stephen Cherry
12-07-2012, 8:40 PM
apple smoked bacon.

That, along with soft shelled blue crabs, is one of the few foods in the "unsharable" food group.

scott vroom
12-07-2012, 9:37 PM
That, along with soft shelled blue crabs, is one of the few foods in the "unsharable" food group.

Sometimes it's OK to burn wood...and apple makes a great firewood

Dave Zellers
12-07-2012, 10:41 PM
So: Is anyone interested?

Hi Carl- I'm on Cape Cod and I'd be interested in as much as I could get.

Both fire wood (for smoking) and small milled lumber- Whether I saw it myself or not.

Let me know if you need my help with this. I'm 2 hours away but willing to travel.

Sid Matheny
12-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I have always had great luck with apple but know others that that have had most of theirs crack and end up in the burn pile. Apple, like a lot of fruit wood needs to be cut when the sap is down. At least that has been my finding.

Sid

Noel Poore
12-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Carl

I am in southern NH and could easily drive down to northern MA. Thanks for sharing the news...

Noel

Tom Fischer
12-08-2012, 5:52 AM
Apple boards are nice to have, but may be pretty unruly when drying.
If you want to keep flatness, put a lot of weight on it.

Also excellent for smoking stuff, pork ribs, etc.

Jim Matthews
12-08-2012, 6:49 AM
This stuff is hard, and heavy.

If the trees were just taken down, watch your suspension as you load.
It's true about the checking - I have some 12/4 stuff that is nearly unusable and it was kiln dried.

Yields on apple are VERY low.

Jim Foster
12-08-2012, 8:00 AM
Carl,

Thanks for your very generous offer. I'm by 495&90 and I can stop by today if your available. I've been hoping to find a few pieces I can dry to use for making a handplane or two.

Jim

Kevin Bourque
12-08-2012, 8:19 AM
Apple is used for custom golf club heads and other stuff that takes a beating. Spalted apple is especially nice.

Niels Cosman
12-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Carl,
Thanks for the tip and the info!!!
I am in Cambridge and am definitely interested in as much as humanly possible. :)
Cheers,
Niels

Rick Potter
12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I used some once for turning. Very pretty wood.

Rick Potter