PDA

View Full Version : Locust HF

Bob Rotche
12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
This is a hollow form made of locust (not sure which type). Measures about 7" wide by 5" tall, 1" opening. Finished with danish oil and buffed. I do have a Monster articulated arm but find myself, more often than not, reaching for my hand held Trent Bosch tools. Kind of strange... Let me know what you think. C+C always appreciated.

Dale Miner
12-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Looks good.

The wood resembles Black Locust more so that Honey Locust.

Toby Bouder
12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I agree, Black Locust. Very nice! Someday I hope to try hollow forms. Too scary for me right now.

Roger Chandler
12-07-2012, 1:44 PM
Nice work on the form Bob. That bark inclusion is a real feature..........personally, I am more fond of wood without those bark inclusions, but a lot of people prefer those.........at any rate, nice job. I am surprised you go more for the hand held tools over a captured system.......you must be a glutton for punishment! :eek:;)

Am I correct......seems like I remember someone, somewhere saying that black locust is a member of the family of oaks? I know I have 3 pieces in my shop of black locust, and the texture of the wood is a lot like oak.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2012, 3:54 PM
Bob - if you can do the handheld hollowing stuff - more power to you! Beats me to a pulp and just not worth it when I have other ways of hollowing without causing the pain. Great looking HF! Love the grain, colors and the bark inclusion/void!

paul vechart
12-07-2012, 6:12 PM
Bob...nice looking HF... I like all the inclusions...I was thinking of getting the Bosh tools myself. Do you get "beat up" when you use these tools as others have said? How do you change the cutting tips on the Bosh brand tools because there doesn't seem to be a set screw holding them in?

Thanks,

Paul

jwjerry w kowalski
12-07-2012, 6:15 PM
Beautiful piece, the bark inclusion makes the piece, also the form is right on the money.

Tony De Masi
12-07-2012, 6:47 PM
Real nice piece Bob. Looks like a David Keller special too. Maybe it's the profession?

charlie knighton
12-07-2012, 9:10 PM
very nice Bob, nice form, interesting wood

Dennis Ford
12-07-2012, 9:21 PM
Very nice form, finish and wood. The orientation that you choose shows off the grain very well. I agree with you on hand held hollowing for this size HF.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2012, 9:33 PM
Great looking piece and form. I am with Steve. Glad you can do the hand held system because it just beats my old arthritic hands and shoulders to death.

Michelle Rich
12-08-2012, 6:01 AM
wow, this is an eye-grabber..well done.

Bob Rotche
12-08-2012, 8:22 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments. Paul, I'm very happy with the Bosch tools as opposed to the Sorby tool which I started with. Though I do still like my Sorby with scraper attachement to get a decent interior finish cut. The Bosch tips are held in with CA glue which is supposed to release when heated and then glue a new tip in. Haven't had to do it yet but do have some spare tips ready. I don't really feel "beat up" with hand hollowing though probably would if I did larger pieces or longer sessions. Probably the issue I have with my Monster rig is lack of experience. Just haven't put in enough hours to really get the feel of it. Clearly I need to work with it more as the vast majority of people find the hollowing rigs greatly preferable to hand held. Good to have the skills to use both.

Scott Lux
12-08-2012, 9:24 AM
Very nice piece, Bob. There is a very simple way to tell black locust from honeylocust: black locust fluoresces under UV. Put a black light on it. If it glows it's black locust. The flavonoids that make it undesirable to bugs and fungi (and therefore rot resistant) glow in uv.

It's cool having a botanist friend. :D He tells me all this cool stuff.

Alan Trout
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Bob,

This is a wonderful piece, Form is great and the wood compliments the form very well. Great work.

Alan

Peter Blair
12-09-2012, 4:22 PM
Great job Bob. If the Monster is in your way you could store it at my place . . . .

Rick Markham
12-09-2012, 6:18 PM
Bob, I would say you nailed this one! The form is fantastic, the finish is perfect for the piece, and the wood is even better. Love the bark

neil mackay
12-09-2012, 7:00 PM
looks just fine to me Bob whatever it is, :) you've nailed shape, form and finish.

James Combs
12-09-2012, 8:44 PM
Not a big fan of inclusions either but that is very nice execution, shape, and finish. I will also stick with my monster rig.

Tim Rinehart
12-10-2012, 8:55 AM
To me, it's hard to find something not to like everything about this. Form flows well, beautiful color in that piece and a nice asymetric orientation, and I'm a fan of voids and inclusions. Just out of curiousity, were you able to see your tool tip while turning thru the void area? That is a bonus when turning in my opinion to be able to see what's going on inside.