View Full Version : G0690 vs G1023 Dust Collection

Nate Monick
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I am just about to pull the trigger on either the G0690 or the G1023RLW from Grizzly. I have compared the two thoroughly and read through an incredible amount of information on this forum alone comparing the two saws. I have one nagging question that is preventing me from making my mind up. I typically try to run 6" drops to all my stationary tools to achieve the maximum amount of airflow to my dust collector (3HP G1030Z2P). The dust shroud on the 1023 seems like it would restrict this kind of airflow based on the design of the internal dust shroud. It appears that there is a 2-1/2" hose coming from the shroud itself.

Does anyone have a feel for which setup will collect dust more efficiently: the 1023 with a 6" drop reduced down to 4" right at the machine, OR the 690 with a modification of the dust port to allow a 6" drop directly into the cabinet?

Any advise would be appreciated.

David Helm
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I have the 1023 with a 6 inch drop reduced to 4 right at the saw. The shroud, which I thought was a very good idea, does restrict collection a bit. Maybe it can be modified enough to do a 4 inch in place of the 2 1/2. Haven't tried it. Jim O'Dell has a 690 that he has modified to go directly to 6 inch.

Nate Monick
12-07-2012, 1:36 PM
Thank you David. That is exactly the kind of first hand testimonial that I was looking for. I did see Jim O'Dell's modification of his 690 and I thought it seemed like a quite good set up. My dust collector isn't quite as powerful as his, but I think it should be able to keep the cabinet reasonably clean. Try to stay dry up there! Man do I miss Bellingham! What a great town!

Tom Hartranft
12-07-2012, 2:37 PM
I modified the dust outlet port of my 1023RL as soon as the TS got into my shop this spring to approximate the flow area of a 6" dia duct while retaining enough TS body metal to still support the 2" blade dust shroud port. Here are a couple of photos. First one shows the TS body with extra material cut out. 2nd photo shows the 3/4" thick wooden flange I cut to match the shape of an oval HVAC duct. The HVAC duct snugly fits inside the wooden flange cutout. Then mounted the wooden flange to the TS body with sheet metal screws. I didn't do a before/after run of the TS to compare dust collection before/after so cannot comment on perceived performance change. I had read quite a bit of online discussion regarding opening up woodworking machine dust outlets to approximate duct flow area. However, I estimate I'm only getting the equivalent flow area of an ~5" round duct since I kept the TS body metal surrounding the 2" blade shroud duct.

Tom

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/1203%20Dust%20Collection/IMG_1414640x480.jpg

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/1203%20Dust%20Collection/IMG_1438480x640.jpg

David Helm
12-08-2012, 1:18 PM
So you miss Bellingham Nate. Where do you live now?

Nate Monick
12-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I live in Yakima now David. I went to Western and Whatcom CC. I also met my wife there. We try to get up there to visit friends as much as possible. There always seems to be something that is new or in development up there. Its really come a long way as a city over the past 10 years. Also, my life would have no meaning without Boundary Bay IPA :)

David Helm
12-10-2012, 4:19 PM
I live in Yakima now David. I went to Western and Whatcom CC. I also met my wife there. We try to get up there to visit friends as much as possible. There always seems to be something that is new or in development up there. Its really come a long way as a city over the past 10 years. Also, my life would have no meaning without Boundary Bay IPA :)

You should try the new Kulshan Brewery. They make a great IPA!