PDA

View Full Version : fine or medium india?

jamie shard
12-07-2012, 9:33 AM
I have a ultrafine spyderco ceramic stone that I use to quickly touch up planes/chisels while working at the bench. (I have a sharpening station with grinder and water stone for "resetting" bevels.) I would like to add a slightly coarser stone that will just kiss off wear bevels on the back of chisels/plane blades, something slightly more aggressive than the ultrafine ceramic stone (which mostly burnishes and consolidates the edge).

The obvious options are:

medium spyderco
medium india
fine india

I'm leaning toward one of the indias in 8x3" size because it fits how I sharpen plane blades. But which india?

David Weaver
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Order both, they're cheap. There is a big jump from medium india to fine india, but the jump from medium india to spyderco UF is much wider and is too large given the spyderco's desire to settle in and half burnish/half cut.

jamie shard
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
David, thank you for saying buy both -- that's what this place is all about! :) But actually your statement that the jump from medium to UF is too large is exactly the info I was looking for. I just need a smidge more aggression than the UF, sounds like medium would be a bit too aggressive for this particular scenario. Thank you!