PDA

View Full Version : Installing drawer slides on a slope

cal lidderdale
12-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I building a cabinet - 32h x 18wd, 4 drawers using HD bottom mount 18" R7211 slides. Now normal slide install would be 100% flat. I got to wondering what if the back were lowered say 1/2" - so there was a slight slope. That way with the drawer fully out a simple bump with a knee or tap of the toe would cause it to close. I have to assume someone has tried this, just wondering what the results were.

Thanks
C

Dan Hahr
12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Bad idea. I've accidently achieved this and it will just make your drawers slide in when you don't want them to. Mine slide in fine with a slight bump and they are dead level. Plus, you'd have to angle the fronts so they would fit flush.
Dan

David Keller NC
12-07-2012, 10:01 AM
And, you would find over time (perhaps a long time) that the drawer fronts would come loose from the drawer sides because of the extra closing velocity of the drawer running "downhill", particularly if it's heavily loaded.

If you wish to achieve a soft-close and really "cadillac-smooth" operation, consider using Blum soft-close undermount slides. They aren't cheap, but neither is your time, materials and tools that you put into building the cabinet.

John Piwaron
12-09-2012, 9:50 AM
a 1/2" at the end sounds like an awful lot. I'd do less.

If you carefully consider the geometry involved, I don't think the drawer face necessarily has to be angled to be flush. Think about how an inclined railway works. the cab floor is horizontal and it's sides vertical, yet moves up at an angle. Something similar could work for drawers. But such a thing would take up more room in the cabinet. How much more depends on how deep the drawer is. I'm not sure it's worth the effort in a normal rectangular item like a dresser, but in some situations it would.

The extra velocity problem might be addressed by sticking some foam onto the back the drawer or to the inside of the carcase where the drawer lands. That would provide some cushioning.

As always, never say never. If you want to do it, it can be done. After you first do all the design work involved.

Hovey Moore
12-10-2012, 1:42 AM
Depending on how smooth your slides are, I think a 1/4" drop would be fine and it wouldn't require any special angles. It might be harder to mount the slides but that could be managed with a simple jig. But why? Its not hard to bump a normal slide closed. I like drawers that stay open when I am taking things in or out and not wishing I had that third hand for yet one more thing.

Mort Stevens
12-10-2012, 4:18 AM
I use only Blum's Blumotion slides they are full extension, soft close and are self closing after they have been pushed about half close, they then take over and close themselves.

Vince Shriver
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Tried putting a smaller tire on the front of my bike when I was 10, thinking I'd be going downhill all the time. Same principle - that didn't work either.