PDA

View Full Version : Basement Shop Layout suggestions....

Matt Sollars
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Materials list:
grizz 1023sl
grizz 8'' jointer
(220v plug on the post between TS and J)
dewalt 735
jet 16'' bandsaw
jet floorstanding dp
delta single stack dc

all of the boxes clockwise from bottom left:
9' butcher block bench
8' storage shelves
8' storage shelves
lumber rack
window/
4'x5' granite topped standing desk
backside of basement bathroom
furnace and HWH
36'' entry door.

Issues:
i've got no decent sheet good storage. i have to also store household items in the space. think camping, tubs, etc.
there is just a general lack of 'workable flow' we'll call it.
ALL things are moveable....provided it's going to improve the layout. (current lumber rack, bathroom, and hvac excluded)

the other side of the entry door is a carpeted, finished basement room that is used daily.

so there it is.....any and all suggestions welcome!

thanks,
Matt

Kevin Guarnotta
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
sorry, I'm having a bit of a time reading the drawing, can you label the tools and the other items?

One suggestion-if you put your tools all on wheels, some of the smaller ones (at the top of your drawing) you can put storage behind or above them. I do this with some of the tools I don't use too often.

Andy Fox
12-07-2012, 7:36 AM
I have a similar-sized basement shop I'm starting to work on, and I'm jealous of your huge window. :D

My thoughts:

Sheet goods could go behind the bench or one of the storage shelves, maybe even vertically if you have the height.
Jointer might get in way if you crosscut on the tablesaw.
You might want to experiment with having your bench away from the wall where you can work from all sides. I like to be able to do that.
Bandsaw is probably on a mobile base? This seems important, especially for resawing.
Maybe some storage can be moved to the garage?
What about dust? Is the furnace/water heater walled off from the shop? Maybe use an exterior door because it's already sealed and reduces noise transmission. That's what I'm planning to do.

Art Mulder
12-07-2012, 10:10 AM
With a small shop, which I have also, I think sheet goods storage needs to be located at the store. I just buy it as I need it.

A few photos might help... for instance is the HVAC open to the room or is it walled off behind a partition? Is it gas? If so Dust Collection would be a concern for many of us, as you don't want your woodworking dust entering the furnace.

Really, I think you have a pretty nice and big space. As for shared storage, I think you would be advised to get cabinets, rather than open shelves. It is a woodworking shop, there WILL be dust. And the dust will get all over the stuff on open shelves. Are you sure there is no other storage available in the garage, garage attic, shed, house attic (etc) where you can stash stuff?

I think you will just have to start using the space and see how it works for you. Keep things as mobile as possible, and expect to need to rearrange a few times to find the best solution.

Kevin Guarnotta
12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I've been working on my shop for a couple years, it is constantly being tweaked. Trying to get heat in there this year so I can work in the winter. Anyway the idea of an evolving shop, and tools on wheels is the route I am going, as my needs are changing all the time. As for storage of sheet goods-the idea of it being at the store is great, but doesn't really work for me. I always seem to have leftovers that are too good to throw out. I found this online - http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-sheet-cart/. It is a pretty simple plywood cart. I tweaked it a bit to store more lumber. It works OK-although it is a bit rickety-as there is not lateral support designed into it. If I were to do it again, I'd probably put some sort of cross brace into it.

Keith Westfall
12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I made something similar and then hinged one end to a wall. Gives it stability and just swings out to use, Not a big deal being fixed in one place as I usually have my rolling bench in front of it.

Andy Fox
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I found this online - http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-sheet-cart/. It is a pretty simple plywood cart. I tweaked it a bit to store more lumber. It works OK-although it is a bit rickety-as there is not lateral support designed into it. If I were to do it again, I'd probably put some sort of cross brace into it.
I built one of those too. I agree. It needs more stability. I put 4" casters on mine so that it would make it over larger floor bumps in my former garage shop. That added to the instability though (higher center of gravity), and the casters should be heavy duty with very rigid tires which won't deform. Making it wider than the plans specify would be a good idea. Mine tipped a few times while moving it outside the garage. No damage to anything, but there were quite a few startled neighbors looking around for the car accident they thought they heard. :eek: