PDA

View Full Version : Very Lucky Day

Sonny Kemp
12-06-2012, 5:33 PM
I started home from work and noticed some limbs by the street,didnt think much about it and before I got home got to thinking about how that limb looked for some reason.I knew the man that lived there ,so I called him and asked about it.He said yea we cut a tree today and didnt get it carried to the street yet,its stacked up back of the house get all you want.Its black walnut about 24in. dia,Needless to say my trucks full now and will be again tomorrow.Any turners close to Milan Tn. are welcome to some of it.No charge.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Congrats on the haul. Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Congrats! Quite the wood gloat - even without the required photos! Looking forward to seeing what you turn from it!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Congratulations!

Sonny Kemp
12-07-2012, 1:04 PM
Steve I apoligize Ive not been a member long and didnt realize thet.Ill do better. Thanks

Mike Cruz
12-07-2012, 1:36 PM
Walnut? What walnut? I don't see no stinkin' walnut? Must not be any...:rolleyes:

Sonny, there is a REAL fast learning curve the "no pic, didn't happen" rule...:D

John Keeton
12-07-2012, 1:37 PM
Sonny, this bunch thrives on pics!! For sure, they would salivate over seeing a truck full of walnut. Congrats.

Sonny Kemp
12-07-2012, 4:19 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow for sure.

Sonny Kemp
12-07-2012, 6:49 PM
Here's the pics of the walnut gloat

Mike Cruz
12-07-2012, 7:49 PM
WHAT? Tiny little pics that we can't fill our screens to drool over? You've got a lot to learn, Sonny, a lot to learn... Next set of pics from tomorrow's haul better be in HD or else! Maybe a swimsuit model...okay, maybe that isn't necessary, but at least a little better res. ;)

Hey, nice score. That'll make for some really nice turning. Your shop will smell sweet as honey, too! I really like that oblong chunk in the upper left of the first and third thumbnails...I mean pictures. Hey, I'm looking at this on a 65" plasma TV and I'm having difficulty seeing it... :D I'm not giving you any slack, am I?

Steve bellinger
12-07-2012, 8:46 PM
Sonny nice gloat. If i was heading your way i'd stop in and say hay. Been to Milan many times, have built a few homes up there over the years,so know the area well.

Doug W Swanson
12-07-2012, 9:34 PM
Jeez, you guys are harsh today. Can we give the new guy a break! :) lol!

I'm just seeing a lot of pen blanks in those pictures. Either that or toothpicks!

Sonny Kemp
12-07-2012, 9:45 PM
Sonny nice gloat. If i was heading your way i'd stop in and say hay. Been to Milan many times, have built a few homes up there over the years,so know the area well.Steve are you a member at the Jackson club?Im gonna contact those guys and try and get some guidance,as Im new at turning .Ive got a sister at Henderson down your way.Holler if you come toward Jackson sometime and we will have coffee or something.

Mike Cruz
12-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Sonny, I don't know if "new to turning" means you just started and are approaching it gingerly, but really like it; or if it means that you just started, got bitten by the bug, are turning so much you tools are smoking, and you'll be through that pile by the weekend. If it is the latter, have at it, enjoy, and we look forward to pics of your work! Sorry, more pics...I know. If, however, it is the former, you're gonna need to seal all that walnut very soon, or it will all be firewood before long...and I'm talking soon. I don't know if you know about sealing and your options, so please forgive me if you already know this, but I want to make sure you don't lose that beautiful pile.

Option 1: Get at least a gallon of Archorseal (the original formula if you can get it...the newer version isn't as good). You can get it a Woodcraft, or you can call the company up directly and order from them. I get it in 5 gallon buckets from the company.

Option 2: You can make your own sealer out of a mixture of glue (white Elmers ought to work fine) and water...I think the solution is 50/50. Cheaper, for sure, than the Anchorseal.

Option 3: Use some old latex paint. This option will buy you a little time, but really isn't a great option. It is better than nothing, but really only a very temporary bandaid.

Whichever product you use, paint it on (give it a good coat) the exposed end grain. If I were you, I'd leave the logs whole, like you have them now (but with ends coated), and cut them as you need them. Cutting them into slabs and/or blanks prematurely just gives the blanks a chance to check and split more. I've tried it that way, and if you don't get to them, they become firewood. That said, they won't last forever the way they are now, either...even coated. Green wood is a use it or lose it product. Though you might get some spalting in the sapwood if it lays there for a while, it may also start to get punky after a while...

IF you find you aren't, won't, or may not get to it all, here's a solution I've found very rewarding: Share it with other turners. You can do that by having them over to pick it up. Invite them over for a day of turning, and send them home with some. Bring some to your local turning club to give away. Ask local members of SMC if they want some. In the long run, just think about how you saved that wood from being burned, becoming mulch, or even just rotting away. I've given away SO much wood to my local turning buddies, that sometimes when I come across a downed tree, when I call them, they turn it down because even THEY have enough for now. I'm just happy that it gets used. It doesn't have to be me using it. I've even sent some wood to a select few people on SMC that have inspired, guided, or helped me in one way or another. (BTW, that is not a solicitation for you to send me wood...;) ) So, if you aren't going to be getting to it all, save the best pieces for yourself, and share! Who knows, someone you share with might return the favor someday... Oh, and the way I met my good friend now, Tony DeMasi is because I begged the Creek for someone to come help me cut up some wood that I had access to...some really nice walnut. I couldn't be happier that Tony answered the call. Maybe walnut is the magic wood, and you can forge the same kind of relationship with a turner near you.

Baxter Smith
12-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Congrats on all the walnut! Looks great!

Steve bellinger
12-08-2012, 5:44 AM
Steve are you a member at the Jackson club?Im gonna contact those guys and try and get some guidance,as Im new at turning .Ive got a sister at Henderson down your way.Holler if you come toward Jackson sometime and we will have coffee or something.
Sonny not a member, but know a few of the guys up there, and have been to a few Demos. One by John Lucas, And one by Keith Burns. Chuck Jones is a really nice guy and will be glad to have ya there. He's one of the founders of that club.And also a member here on SMC. If i make it up your way i'd be glad to join ya for a coke as i don't drink coffee.:)