PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Repair Manuals

Jim Koepke
12-06-2012, 4:26 PM
Being the do it yourself type has likely saved me a few bucks here and there.

For automobile manuals the public library system used to be the place of choice. Last time some vehicle repair information was needed, the library used an internet data base system and charged a nominal fee for the pages needed.

These days living out in the sticks makes the nearest library inconvenient at best. It has been awhile since I have ventured into a public library, so it is not known if they also have manuals for home appliances available.

Our dryer has been acting up. The repair manual was found here:

http://allrepairmanuals.com/

My Dryer's manual was priced at $9.95. Probably that much for the printer ink to print out the 68 pages. Of course, one could just print out the pages needed at the time. Especially since the manual covers both the gas and electric versions of the our dryer. But now, the pages can be three hole punched and put in a binder, as soon as all the women are chased out. :D

CAUTION - WARNING - DANGER WILL ROBINSON ! ! !

Appliance repair isn't for everyone.

Don't blame me if this doesn't work for you.

jtk

ray hampton
12-06-2012, 6:11 PM
why not Will Robin

Jim Koepke
12-06-2012, 7:04 PM
why not Will Robin

Will Robinson was a character in the TV program Lost In Space. It seemed at least every other episode if not all of them had the robot saying, "Danger Will Robinson, danger."

If you are under 40 you may have had the fortune of never seeing an episode.

jtk

ray hampton
12-06-2012, 7:25 PM
Will Robinson was a character in the TV program Lost In Space. It seemed at least every other episode if not all of them had the robot saying, "Danger Will Robinson, danger."

If you are under 40 you may have had the fortune of never seeing an episode.

jtk

Lost in Space will be on the TV this weekend according to the line up
UNDER FORTY, I am closer to 80 than 40

Myk Rian
12-06-2012, 8:52 PM
You didn't pay for it, did you?
Our washer needs a bearing. Manuals and videos are available for free.
I just DL'd the manual, and watched some videos.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2012, 3:39 PM
You didn't pay for it, did you?
Our washer needs a bearing. Manuals and videos are available for free.
I just DL'd the manual, and watched some videos.

Surely others would love it if you posted a link to where the free shop manuals are located.

jtk

Moses Yoder
12-07-2012, 4:25 PM
Surely others would love it if you posted a link to where the free shop manuals are located.

jtk

http://applianceadvisor.com/content/manufacturers-old-style

We use appliance advisor all the time for manuals for all our appliances. It is a simple list of links to the manufacturer website. It usually takes some looking but normally they have manuals for each model.

Myk Rian
12-07-2012, 4:37 PM

jtk
I just googled the model number.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2012, 2:56 PM
The only thing I was able to find on that site were owners manuals, specs and care instructions.

I haven't found anything with schematics, error codes or repair procedures.

jtk

Myk Rian
12-08-2012, 3:18 PM
What is the make, gas or electric, and model number?

Jim Koepke
12-09-2012, 12:03 PM
What is the make, gas or electric, and model number?

It is a G.E. Electric Profile Dryer Model #DPVH880EJWW.

Thanks,

jtk

Myk Rian
12-09-2012, 1:37 PM
OK. Now, what do you get when you Google DPVH880EJWW ?
It might also have a number after the EJ.
If you can't find service schematics or parts lists, then GE is sucking the money out of the consumer.

Jim Koepke
12-09-2012, 3:12 PM
OK. Now, what do you get when you Google DPVH880EJWW ?
It might also have a number after the EJ.
If you can't find service schematics or parts lists, then GE is sucking the money out of the consumer.

That is what was Googled to get me to the site I found with the manual. Most of the listing was retailers or appliance repair adverts.

the number after the EJ is the engineering revision number. My dryer doesn't have one.

Someone has to pay for the creation of a manual. For many things, the manufacturer would likely the consumer didn't think they could take something apart. In my days as a repair person, many people ended up paying me more because they thought they could do my job. Often they created a costly mess that would have saved them time and money if they had just called for me instead.

Since a manual was found and the cost was not exorbitant, the only reason for me to know of a free source is for use in the future or to pass on to others who have a need.

jtk