PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Tim Cannon
12-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Best tablesaw value today for under $2K, prefer new vs. used and I have built up no significant brand loyalty so nothing would be off the table.

scott spencer
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Assuming you have 220v, I think the Grizzly G1023RL ($1294 shipped), or a G0690 are great saws at a great price. You get a really nice 3hp industrial cabinet saw with solid cast wings, riving knife, and a good Biese style fence at a great price. You can add a mobile base, aftermarket miter gauge, a couple of a nice saw blades, and maybe even a dado stack...all within budget.

Jim O'Dell
12-06-2012, 1:40 PM
And you'll have some money left over for some blades and alignment tools! I have the 691 and it was/is the perfect saw for me and the budget I had, which was lower than what you listed. Not much else out there in that price range for new in a cabinet saw. Several contractor/hybrid type saws, some higher priced, some lower than the Griz 1032R or 690/1 saws. None with the same power. But if you don't have or don't want to add 220 volt, the hybrid would be the way I would go. Jim.

Assuming you have 220v, I think the Grizzly G1023RL ($1294 shipped), or a G0690 are great saws at a great price. You get a really nice 3hp industrial cabinet saw with solid cast wings, riving knife, and a good Biese style fence at a great price. You can add a mobile base, aftermarket miter gauge, a couple of a nice saw blades, and maybe even a dado stack...all within budget.

Joe Kieve
12-06-2012, 2:06 PM
What's wrong with "old arn". I love my 80's model Unisaw that I scored off Craigslist for $500. Still had some
left for dado head, saw blades, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

joe

Dan Hahr
12-06-2012, 2:14 PM
The quality of my used unisaw is substantially better than my old Grizzly saw ( bought new ). Anything else that I would want is over 2 grand. Dan

Tom Walz
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I donated a table saw to Charter Lake and let Oscar at Eastisde Saw in Seattle Wa pick it out. He got me a real deal on a floor model. Last year's saw or something. Anyway there was a design change. The kids loved the new saw that cut square and staright and I saved a few bucks.

Stephen Cherry
12-07-2012, 1:05 PM
pm66, unisaw, each can be bought for about 1k or less. AND you could sell for about what you pay. And what makes you think that a new saw won't need to be aligned, or even will be made right?

There are bigger bargins on bigger saws, but you better be ready to move some weight.

Carl Beckett
12-07-2012, 1:20 PM
I see regular postings for reasonably current Unisaw/Powermatics well under $1000 (posted some of these over in the deals and discounts section). I would suggest one of these.

Here is one right at the $2000 range - I dont consider this the greatest bargain, but it looks pretty clean:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/3458037896.html

and a Uni:

http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/3433511165.html

Do a searchtempest search for your area (you didnt state where you were at, this makes a big difference on whats available).

New, I would buy a Grizzly 1023 (and did) if limited to $2000

If I could relax the budget a little, I would buy a Sawstop (uh oh... here we go again.....!)

Tim Cannon
12-08-2012, 9:15 AM
I see regular postings for reasonably current Unisaw/Powermatics well under $1000 (posted some of these over in the deals and discounts section). I would suggest one of these.

Here is one right at the $2000 range - I dont consider this the greatest bargain, but it looks pretty clean:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/3458037896.html

and a Uni:

http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/3433511165.html

Do a searchtempest search for your area (you didnt state where you were at, this makes a big difference on whats available).

New, I would buy a Grizzly 1023 (and did) if limited to $2000

If I could relax the budget a little, I would buy a Sawstop (uh oh... here we go again.....!)

I know new does not equate to perfect and that it will take some dialing in. I have nothing against old iron - I just kinda had a hankering for a new new one more than anything. I don't have the dedicated 220 but I have room in the sub-panel to run one if I want. And I live in Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee. That, I think, answers all of the questions :cool: I do appreciate all of the feedback. I got a bonus and was thinking of stealing some of it for myself this year, that's how the question came to be in the first place.

Mike Wilkins
12-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Go for the Griz and you will have enough left over to have an electrician run a 220 line. Which will open up your shop for more 220 tools.