PDA

View Full Version : Something Different----For Me

Steve Doerr
12-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Been looking at a lot of different turnings lately and thought I would venture out and try and create something a little "artistic". This hollow form is made with cherry burl, walnut lid, brass sleeve and deer antler handle. It is 5 3/8" W x 4 1/4" H (including the antler). Since this is my first venture in this direction, I would appreciate some truthful and helpful C & C.

Thanks and Happy Turning,
Steve

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 12:20 AM
I think this is very nice, Steve........I like the shape.......not one you see everyday, and the contrasting lid and antler set it apart as not run of the mill. Nicely done.....congratulations!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Really nice Steve. I like the form and lid. Well done.

Steve Doerr
12-06-2012, 5:28 PM
Thanks for the complements. It was one of those things that I had thought about and then the wood kind of helped me make the decision. I think it took about three different pieces of walnut before I got one that worked the way I wanted it to. As you said, it is a shape that is not a common one.
Happy turning,
Steve

Jim Burr
12-06-2012, 5:42 PM
First thing I thought of was 1950's Asian! Great combo of materials Steve!

Pat Scott
12-07-2012, 10:23 AM
I like it! Very nice. Wouldn't change a thing, I think the proportions are good, and the different pieces and color go together nicely.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
That's different! At first I was not a huge fan of the form but as I started checking things out... I noticed that the angle of the HF wall and the edge of the Walnut lid match... so that works. The color of the Walnut lid brings out the darker colors of the Cherry burl.... so that works. The curve of the deer antler plays against the sharp angles of the form and lid ... so that works for me as well.

Interesting piece! Looking forward to seeing where this takes you!