PDA

View Full Version : Advice on dovetail/tenon saw?

Dan Forman
04-25-2005, 4:43 AM
I am looking for a japanese style dovetail/tenon saw, anyone have a recommendation?

If it is available from Lee Valley, it would save me shipping, since I am already going to be placing an order with them.

Richard Gillespie
04-25-2005, 7:34 AM
I bought my Dozuki from Woodcraft but it looks very much like what Lee Valley calls their "Standard Dozuki". I also use a Adria for dovetails. Each saw has it's advantages. I've never used the "Rip Dozuki" that Lee Valley lists.

John Miliunas
04-25-2005, 8:09 AM
Dan, fellow SMC-er, Mark Singer tipped me off to this supplier: http://www.tashirohardware.com/Super-duper prices and the saws are great! I'm finally starting to practice on making hand-cut DT's and this weekend I compared the Tashiro with my LN Dovetail. I almost hate to admit it, but the Tashiro was easier to cut with!!! Give Frank (Tashiro) a call and he'll set you up!:) :cool: (NOT affiliated with Tashiro, bla-bla-bla, etc...):)

Steve Cox
04-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Personal preference on these. I have used Tashiros saws and find I prefer a western style. Good saws I just prefer to push rather than pull. I bought an Adria dovetail saw and have been more than pleased with it.

Pam Niedermayer
04-25-2005, 4:21 PM
I used the Professional Dozuki from LV for a couple of years, it worked great; however, if buying from LV today, I'd get the rip dozuki. Currently I'm using a Kaneharu rip dozuki, which is very, very good, but much more expensive.

Pam

Zahid Naqvi
04-25-2005, 5:55 PM
Look at the Korean made Dozuki at LeeValley. I have one and it works great, no complaints about the price either.

Mike Holbrook
04-25-2005, 9:53 PM
Silky makes some very nice saws. Their new Woodboy saw series has a 27 tpi that cuts on the push and pull stroke. Best saws I have used by far, but I have not tried Mark's Japanese saw maker yet. The Woodboys have very nice grips that the blades fold into. Blades are easily replaced too.

http://www.silkystore.com/Secure/ecommerce/details.asp?prdn=110

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 9:56 PM
As John mentioned I use the Tashiros...it is a great saw. I have several nice western saws as well. The LN is nice ...I have some old great ones... The Tashiro Queen Dovetail and the fine joint blade are great...I make my own handels.

Martin Shupe
04-26-2005, 1:55 AM
Silky makes some very nice saws. Their new Woodboy saw series has a 27 tpi that cuts on the push and pull stroke. Best saws I have used by far, but I have not tried Mark's Japanese saw maker yet. The Woodboys have very nice grips that the blades fold into. Blades are easily replaced too.

http://www.silkystore.com/Secure/ecommerce/details.asp?prdn=110

I bought one of these after test driving one at Kelly Mehler's school. I like it very much.

Another consideration is the dozuki style saw from Lie Nielsen. Nice saw and cheaper than the Independence saw, and I was told it has the same blade.

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 2:45 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. Will probably go the Tashiro route, try several different blades. Am interested in making my own handles in time per Mark's instructions.

Dan

Mark Singer
04-26-2005, 2:57 PM
Dan,

I posted a couple of links including a drawing on making the handles today..for Zahid...make sure you check those

Thanks for all of your replies. Will probably go the Tashiro route, try several different blades. Am interested in making my own handles in time per Mark's instructions.

Dan

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 4:00 PM
Thanks Mark, I saw that earlier.

Dan