PDA

View Full Version : 3 sided wonder

Roger Chandler
12-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I really liked the way my first 3 sided bowl turned out a couple of days ago.........thought I would do a bit of variation on the theme.......this time with a pedestal........and bigger to boot.

This one is ambrosia maple, and it measures 6.5 inches wide and 4-5/8" tall..........the finish is not even dry all the way yet.......this has some antique oil on it to pop the grain, some shellac to seal it, and then a couple coats of WOP.......once it dries good .......a couple of days......I will buff it and add a couple of light coats of WOP.

David DeCristoforo
12-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Roger, I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that this is the best thing I've seen you post to date. It just works. Excellent!

Roger Chandler
12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Roger, I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that this is the best thing I've seen you post to date. It just works. Excellent!

Thanks David........appreciated! I really took a liking to this kind of form........I have several variations in my head......looking forward to doing them in time.

Doug W Swanson
12-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Beautiful! The form, the pedestal, the color. Love it!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Beautiful! The form, the pedestal, the color. Love it!

Thanks Doug.......appreciate your comment!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Beautiful piece Roger. Nice form and finish. Well done.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 7:59 AM
Beautiful piece Roger. Nice form and finish. Well done.

thank you Sir.......much appreciated!

Doug Herzberg
12-06-2012, 8:08 AM
Roger, I liked the other one. I think I like this one better, but I was really drawn to the clean, simple lines of the first. I haven't seen everything you've ever posted and I liked some of your boxes, so I'm not as far out on the limb as David, but this is very nice.

You've got me thinking about variations. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 9:05 AM
Roger, I liked the other one. I think I like this one better, but I was really drawn to the clean, simple lines of the first. I haven't seen everything you've ever posted and I liked some of your boxes, so I'm not as far out on the limb as David, but this is very nice.

You've got me thinking about variations. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Thanks Doug! I appreciate your comments.........David was generous with his comment.......he doesn't throw around atta-boys very often :D;) ..... and I don't think David has seen all my posts either. I have not posted everything I have turned by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want to see a number of them, I do have 3 albums on SMC......just click on my name......then albums, and you will see some of the earlier stuff and some hollow forms......like most of you I am still learning, and do not claim to have any status as an "R-teeeest" but I sure do enjoy this craft.

One of these days, I am going to do the "perfect form" which I define by executing fully the form to my vision and then having a superb finish and have the flow of the curve, detail and proportions all so they fit together to make something truly special........

It is one of the motivations that keeps me going! ;) Thanks again, Doug!

Fred Belknap
12-06-2012, 9:20 AM
Roger I like that a lot. I have done several 4 cornered things but I believe this is better looking. I see a lot of improvement in your turnings, not that I'm a good critic, but I like what I see.

Pat Scott
12-06-2012, 9:26 AM
I really like this. So much so that I'm going to have to try one myself. Way cool.

Peter Fabricius
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
That is really neat Roger;
I cannot seem to get my head around the size and orientation of the blank???
Do you have some suggestions please.
thanks, well done on this novel piece.
Peter F.

Reed Gray
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Other variations I have seen are a lidded box on a pedestal with a finial, and hollow forms. Nice work, and some thing different to do.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 1:17 PM
That is really neat Roger;
I cannot seem to get my head around the size and orientation of the blank???
Do you have some suggestions please.
thanks, well done on this novel piece.
Peter F.

Hi Peter.......the size of the blank does not matter......go for as big or as little as you wish.......when oriented properly the blank will yield a little larger piece than the blank! How you ask? I took a 5-1/2 inch blank and got a 6-1/2 inch width!

what you do is take a blank that is a cube.........say, a 4x4x4.......same on all sides. I trim the opposing corners [clip them off just enough to allow a steb center to fit on one end and the live center on the tailstock side. You will then go to work, leaving one set of the points or the other......if you remove the bottom points, then you can make a tenon and perhaps have enough for a pedestal......if you remove the top points, you will turn away lots of wood from the center.

After forming a tenon [make sure you get enough off to give you a solid tenon] put into a chuck and finish shaping to your desired goals. Sanding can be hazardous to your fingers..........just try to avoid the corners! :eek:

Also note, that you will be turning air [shadows] for the line........so a good light is necessary!!! Sort of like when doing a natural edge bowl!

Peter Fabricius
12-06-2012, 1:43 PM
Thanks Roger;
I have done a few 3 x 3 x 3" cubes but I did not think there was enough tenon left over to make the pedestal???
I must give a larger cube a try to see what I get..
Have you tried mounting the opposing corners directly into the spindle and the open end of your live centre yet?
thanks again.
Peter F.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 1:53 PM
Thanks Roger;
I have done a few 3 x 3 x 3" cubes but I did not think there was enough tenon left over to make the pedestal???
I must give a larger cube a try to see what I get..
Have you tried mounting the opposing corners directly into the spindle and the open end of your live centre yet?
thanks again.
Peter F.

no.....not yet.....to assist with sizing my tenon,I use my steb center in my chuck jaws......easy to eyeball it that way and saves time

Matt Newton
12-06-2012, 2:46 PM
What size block did you start with?

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 2:47 PM
What size block did you start with?

5-1/2 " cube

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-06-2012, 3:03 PM
Hey Roger, Allow me to make three valid points, one to match each point of your bowl.
1 - Beautiful design
2 - Well turned and finished
3 - Well proportioned
I have lots more points to point out but you didn't make enough points for me to point out all my complimentary points. Make a second one and I can keep going.
Nice bowl, Roger.
faust

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 3:33 PM
Hey Roger, Allow me to make three valid points, one to match each point of your bowl.
1 - Beautiful design
2 - Well turned and finished
3 - Well proportioned
I have lots more points to point out but you didn't make enough points for me to point out all my complimentary points. Make a second one and I can keep going.

Nice bowl, Roger.
faust

Your post made me smile, :) Faust! thank you!!!!

Eric Holmquist
12-06-2012, 7:33 PM
Great design and execution. A very lovely piece!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 9:28 PM
Great design and execution. A very lovely piece!

Thanks Eric.........appreciate your comment!

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-06-2012, 9:44 PM
Roger I really like this one. Well proportioned, nice finish.

BILL DONAHUE
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Roger, that is very cool and something I'll have to try some day. Beautiful and functional!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Roger I really like this one. Well proportioned, nice finish.

Appreciate your comment, Joe!

Roger Chandler
12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Roger, that is very cool and something I'll have to try some day. Beautiful and functional!

Thanks a lot Bill.......good luck with yours when you get to it!