PDA

View Full Version : Wobbel in Delta benchtop drillpress

Clarence Martin
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Got a Delta Benchtop drillpress, made in Taiwan, I guess the new ones are made in either Brazil or China, not sure which, but here is the problem.

Noticed recently a wobble in the shaft . Put the bit in , doesn't matter which bit , everyone has a noticeable wobble at low speed. Is the shaft worn or is it the chuck ?

Fixable or time for a new drillpress ?

Ronald Blue
12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Do you have a dial indicator? If so set it up and check to see if it is slop or if it is run out. Have you ever had the chuck out of it? It's probably a number two Morse taper but might be larger depending on the drill press size. If you put an indicator on it and it's run out it's likely in the chuck and taper shank. When I say run out I mean it is off the same each revolution so in effect it wobbled but it could be due to a bent shank between the chuck and taper shank. Have you had anything happen like a drill bit grab and spin the work piece into the column violently? One thing to keep in mind is .001 or .002 at the chuck will multiply into significantly more 4 or 5 inches away at the tip of a drill bit.

Clarence Martin
12-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Almost looks like the shaft is warped . occasionally, a spade bit would get jammed in a hard piece of wood.

Thomas Hotchkin
12-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Clarence
You say you recently noticed this wobble, so it was not there before? If so it is more likely in the chuck. Remove your chuck and clean it, and shaft on your drill press. Blow it out with compressed air. Tom

Clarence Martin
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Tom:

Thanks.

glenn bradley
12-06-2012, 5:44 PM
+1 on remove, clean and re-seat the chuck. Greatly reduced the runout on a new DP I picked up some years back. Did the same routine when I switched to a keyless chuck. No additional problems.