PDA

View Full Version : Eps files

Patrick Licata
12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Hello Creekers,
Hopefully someone will explain to me in easy to understand lingo, the ins and outs of an eps file.
Generally what programs save to an .eps and are there different versions?
In a nutshell, a customer sent me an .eps file which I cannot import into Corel. And I even have the latest, greatest X6. Thought that was supposed to open or import everything.
So, I guess what I'm asking is there a particular version or way that my customers should save and send .eps files to me?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Patrick

Bill Overturf
12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
most any vector program will save to an eps file. Send me the file I know a few tricks but want to make sure one of them works before I have you waste your time bboch7@gmail.com

Patrick Licata
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi Bill,
I'm sending the file to you in a pm. It exceeds the file size limits to put here.
Thanks for the help.

Bill Overturf
12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
dont look like it came thru in the pm either send it to my email posted above

Patrick Licata
12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Duh I guess I can't pm the file. I am sending to your email.

Bill Overturf
12-05-2012, 11:17 PM
cdr file is on the way!

William Adams
12-06-2012, 6:45 AM
EPS stands for encapsulated postscript.

In theory it's a PostScript program w/ no showpage operator which can be placed w/in another PostScript program.

How useful it is depends on the program which made it.

Bill Overturf
12-06-2012, 7:59 AM
Ok William help me out here. What is the difference between a encapsulated postscript file and a postscript file? Only reason I asked is cause years ago back when I had Corel 10 I learned that sometimes and I did this alot with version 10 if I take an .eps file that wont import and change it to a .ps file 9 chances out of 10 it would then import into Corel. That what I did in this case I just changed the file extension and it imported fine.

Mike Null
12-06-2012, 8:12 AM
Another thing, an eps file can be a bitmap also which can cause you to pull out your hair.

Bill Overturf
12-06-2012, 8:38 AM
Oh believe me I know we tell customers everyday to send us art in a vector file. They usually pull their crappy logo off the website save it as an eps or pdf then wonder why it wont work. I kinda get it when you are dealing with small mom and pop type places but we have some big clients who do the same thing. Once we finally convince them that we need to talk to their marketing department everything usually goes a little smoother

Dan Hintz
12-06-2012, 9:25 AM
Grab GhostScript... it helps deal with a few EPS/PS issues often not possible in other programs.

Martin Boekers
12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Corel ought to open or import it.

You may save the file to your desktop then "drag" it into Corel, I found
that works sometimes, don't know why......

William Adams
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Ok William help me out here. What is the difference between a encapsulated postscript file and a postscript file?

Conformance w/ the limitations imposed on the EPS definition (Adobe has a technical publication on this --- my copy was an early one, in the back of the ``Black Book'' Type 1 font specification I think it was).

Only reason I asked is cause years ago back when I had Corel 10 I learned that sometimes and I did this alot with version 10 if I take an .eps file that wont import and change it to a .ps file 9 chances out of 10 it would then import into Corel. That what I did in this case I just changed the file extension and it imported fine.

That changes the rules which Corel uses when parsing the PostScript code --- the EPS import filter expects things to be w/in certain limits / a certain grammar --- those checks are removed when parsing arbitrary PostScript code.