PDA

View Full Version : x5 and windows 8

Jim Reinhard
12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I got one of the black friday laptops .Figured I could work with corel on it when I am not at home.I could then just transfer the file over to the laser computer later.Well X5 is not compatible with windows 8 .Any sugestions?

Mark Sipes
12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Can't find the answer on line, but there should be an emulator mode. What did you upgrade from.. XP, VISTA, 7 ??

Jim Reinhard
12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
It wasn't an upgrade it came with Windows 8

Paul Phillips
12-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Jim, try this,
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-run-older-programs-under-windows-8.html
Hope this helps.
Paul

Bill Overturf
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
If you have Facebook go search for the Graphics Unleashed Facebook page and post the question on their wal. Foster will have an answer for you

Emma austin
12-06-2012, 1:06 PM
Can't help with your problem, but are laptops capable of running Corel? I am sure when I bought corel 2 years ago the systen requirements were too high for laptop. Ohhh maybe I am thinking of my mini notebook. If you can run corel on a normal laptop that would be great for me as I am away from the desk lots and would love to use my time working on designs!

Mark Sipes
12-06-2012, 1:07 PM
My reference to upgrade was YOU. not the computer.... what system was the X5 running on windows 98 , XP, 7 ,,,,because drivers is going to be your next issue if emulation is no longer available ??

Martin Boekers
12-06-2012, 1:11 PM
Have you checke the Corel Site? They do have forums and tech help there.

www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=2900093 (http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=2900093)

Paul Phillips
12-06-2012, 2:00 PM
It appears that Corel only supports x6 on Windows 8 and I don't think x5 will run.
http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=13400255

Emma, Corel can easily run on a laptop and there are plenty that exceed the system requirements, they just cost more.
Paul

Walt Langhans
12-06-2012, 2:02 PM
Can't help with your problem, but are laptops capable of running Corel?

Easily. However, If you want corel running while you have other things running (like an internet search engine) look for a laptop that has 4 gigs of RAM and you'll be just fine.

Martin Boekers
12-06-2012, 2:19 PM
It appears that Corel only supports x6 on Windows 8 and I don't think x5 will run.

Emma, Corel can easily run on a laptop and there are plenty that exceed the system requirements, they just cost more.
Paul

Wow X5 isn't that old, maybe Tony can help out on this.... I wonder if there will be a service pack or extra discount to upgrade.
much of Corel's software is not compatible. I wonder if the platform is so different that other software companies will face the same stuff.

Emma austin
12-06-2012, 5:31 PM
Easily. However, If you want corel running while you have other things running (like an internet search engine) look for a laptop that has 4 gigs of RAM and you'll be just fine.

hmm okay thanks, maybe I need to go and buy a laptop. I have one but it has some broken keys and is about 3 years old, and spontanteuously turns off. Probably wouldn't have enough RAM I don't think.
But looks like I will have to be careful as I have Corel X5 and all new laptops come with Windows 8, and sounds like that won't work now? Don't really want to upgrade to X6

Jim Reinhard
12-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I think I am goig to go over to tiger direct and buy the oem window 7 and do a fresh install.only $90 -less than upgrading to x6.

Jim Reinhard
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I used to use my old laptop and it worked great untill the screen went bad.

Can't help with your problem, but are laptops capable of running Corel? I am sure when I bought corel 2 years ago the systen requirements were too high for laptop. Ohhh maybe I am thinking of my mini notebook. If you can run corel on a normal laptop that would be great for me as I am away from the desk lots and would love to use my time working on designs!

paul jeran
12-07-2012, 12:28 AM
one data point, but i just installed X5 on my Win 8 laptop and it seems to work. I did some logo work and all seemed fine

Paul

Curt Harms
12-07-2012, 7:05 AM

Paul

Not a Corel specific question. When Vista came out, the Vista license covered previous Windows versions as well. Hence it was legal to wipe Vista and install XP which a great many people did. Does anyone know if you can legally do the same thing with Win8 to Win7? That would be one solution to the OP's problem.

Kevin L. Waldron
12-07-2012, 9:53 AM
I've not used MS 8 but I would assume they have allowed for virtual PC inside of vs 8.

Look up Microsoft virtual PC and/ or Oracle virtual PC..... it should allow you to set up version xp/7 in a virtual world on your laptop within the confines of vs 8 then you can run Corel 5 or any other program that requires earlier versions. ( slightly bit more trouble to go to the virtual world but once you get use to it..... works fine )

Blessings,

Kevin

Paul Phillips
12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Kevin, although a good solution, that may be outside of some peoples technical capabilities.
Has anyone tried the compatibility mode that I suggested yet?

Jim, try this,
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-run-older-programs-under-windows-8.html
Hope this helps.
Paul

Not a Corel specific question. When Vista came out, the Vista license covered previous Windows versions as well. Hence it was legal to wipe Vista and install XP which a great many people did. Does anyone know if you can legally do the same thing with Win8 to Win7? That would be one solution to the OP's problem.
The only problem with this method is if it's newer hardware the previous gereation OS (Windows 7) may not have compatible drivers for it then you would be stuck with windows 8 anyway, and as often as Corel releases new versions it would just make more sense to upgrade Corel.
Paul

Curt Harms
12-08-2012, 6:28 AM
I think I am goig to go over to tiger direct and buy the oem window 7 and do a fresh install.only $90 -less than upgrading to x6.

I don't know the answer to this but rather than spend $90, I think I'd so some research. When Vista was current, a Vista license allowed installation of any previous version of Windows instead. That's how people installed XP on machines that came with Vista. It's possible to legally download Windows 7 images (.iso) which one can burn to a DVD. The install from the DVD is good for only 30 days unless activated. The question is will the Windows 8 key would activate the new Windows 7 install? The other issue would be hardware drivers/support but a visit to the manufacturer's web site should answer that.

Chris Edens
12-09-2012, 8:38 AM
I think the problem is that X5 is a 32bit program. All of the newer computers are 64bit. I installed Windows 8 on 2 macs without having a previous version of windows and X6 worked fine.

I would just upgrade to X6 if you can.