PDA

View Full Version : Help needed engraving a photo on acrylic

Ian Wilson (AUST)
12-05-2012, 8:29 PM
Hi Creekers,

A young guy has come to me and asked if I could engrave his brothers photo on acrylic. Normally I'd kindly say no as I have no experience with doing pics but he then told me its for his memorial plaque as his brother has recently passed away. My heart went out and I couldn't say no.

Could anyone convert the attached pic to a Corel X4 file which I could engrave on clear acrylic? I have happy to pay/donate ( not quite sure if I'm allowed to say this).

Any tips or tutorials on how to get started with working with pics? Any software you may recommend?247180

Wishing all you Creekers a Very Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year.

Kind regards,

Ian

Deane Donaghy
12-06-2012, 1:54 AM
How about doing it on black granite ? I've done a few pet memorial plaques that turned out ok with my little bit of experience which is nearly nil. I get kitchen benchtop off cuts from a local supplier who is glad to get rid of the offcuts for very reasonable price.

walter hofmann
12-06-2012, 5:41 AM
Hi ian
first the picture is not a good one because of the dark area on the left side, the best and easiest way is to scan the picture with 300DPI, then use corel photopaint and go to image -cutout lab -mark the face and body of the guy and safe it, then convert it to 8bit greyscale, then go to adjust and make it with the settings of contrast and lithen to a prety much washed out picture, then go to effects and select unsharp under sharpening and unsharpen it with 500 ( the slider) and 3 to 5 ,no threshold, save it make a try run if it has not enough detail go back to photopaint in effect unsharp and do another unsharp with 100 to 150 but only 1to2 pixel.
I hope this helps
greetings
walt

Martin Boekers
12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Here is a great tutorial, there are tons of great tutorials and tips for engraving there
It's well worth the time to reseach these videos and bookmark them for future reference.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0)

Steven Cox
12-11-2012, 8:57 PM
Hi Ian, I'm a few K's down the road from you in Hervey Bay Q. If you want some help converting the photo I'd be happy to help, PM me and I'll give you my details should be able to help by email or over the phone.

Regards Steve.

Frank Corker
12-11-2012, 9:37 PM
You need to decide on what you are actually going to engrave here. Is it going to be black acrylic or clear acrylic or clear acrylic sprayed black engraved. The size that you want it doing. I appreciate that you are reaching out for help, I'm up to my eyeballs at the moment but the attached zip files has the background removed on two files. One white and the other black. It will make a difference and a lot depends on what material you plan to do it on. However I think that these will certainly get you on the right track to get started.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
12-20-2012, 5:03 PM
Thank you all for yopur help and advise.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a Great 2013.