PDA

View Full Version : Nutcracker

Ernie Hobbs
04-25-2005, 1:06 AM
I took a break from fine woodworking and did a fun project with my 5-year-old daughter. Since she is a huge fan of the Nutcracker ballet, I thought it would be nice to make a nutcracker (the one she has is so beaten up from many many days of playing with it). This also gave me an opportunity to work with her on shop safety, basic skills, etc.

Melanie was able to help a little bit throughout the project with sanding, painting, cutting out the hair, and keeping me company for the last couple of weekends. This was fun for me too, since it involved doing something I had never tried before.

Now that I have done one, I think I'll make a few more for nieces and nephews for Christmas presents.

Here's some pictures--

Lee Schierer
04-25-2005, 8:35 AM
That's a neat project. Working with young ones in the shop is always a challenging and rewarding process. They take great pride in their accomplishments and it feels really good to hear them brag about their success. A nut cracker is a neat project. I'm sure she will cherish it for a long time to come.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-25-2005, 8:49 AM
That is a nice looking project! It is great that you have made your daughter a part of it. It will make that nutcracker even more special to her!

Ernie Hobbs
04-25-2005, 11:24 AM
It was a fun project. I'm going to look for more ways to introduce my kids to woodworking.

Bill White
04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Phooey on the nutcracker. She's the keeper. All kiddin' aside, its really great to have 'em at the workbench with you. Keep them at your side. They won't ever forget the time.