PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Top - Finger Joint vs edge joint

Dennis Petrillo
12-05-2012, 1:48 PM
Hi All

Am in the market for a ready made maple bench top.....been looking at what Grizzley has to offer and another lumber yard by the name of Baird brothers in Ohio.....Baird has a nice product that is finger jointed.....Grizzley seems to be edge jointed.

any pro's and con's to either - is FJ stronger than edge jointed or visa versa?

thanks in advance for any feedback

Dennis

Rod Sheridan
12-05-2012, 3:21 PM
In my opinion the glue is stronger than the wood so plain old edge jointed and glued would be fine............Rod.

John TenEyck
12-05-2012, 3:38 PM
Do you mean edge jointed or butt jointed? I would think the boards in both benches are glued edge to edge, but the one uses boards less than full length that are butt jointed, while the other uses boards that are finger jointed together, yes? If that's the case, I really don't think it makes any difference, it's just may be easier for the production process by using finger jointed boards.

John

George Gyulatyan
12-05-2012, 3:44 PM
Here are the pages for reference:
http://www.bairdbrothers.com/Hard-Maple-FJ-Workbench-Tops-P4235.aspx
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Maple-Workbench-Top-96-Wide-x-30-Deep-x-1-3-4-Thick/G9916

I selected the comparable sizes from both (30" x 96") manufacturers. From sturdiness point of view there wouldn't be much of a difference between the two construction methods. In case of Baird Brothers, they have used FJ to join short boards end to end to make longer boards and then laminate the benchtop from these, in case of Grizzly they've just used butt joints end to end on short boards, however, because they're staggered (in both cases), the adjacent boards would hold them anyway, so don't think that should be the criteria to go by...

However, given the fact that the Baird brothers are 2" as opposed to 1 3/4" for the Grizzly and they'are cheaper by $80, I'd go for the Baird brothers.

You also want to research both companies to make sure you get the benchtops in condition you'd expect to get them. I've read some reports that some people have received dinged or warped benchtops from various suppliers, so be sure to check fo this and check the return policies as shipping charges can be quite large when returning a product of this type.

Dennis Petrillo
12-05-2012, 4:07 PM
thanks for the quick replies everyone:

John, you are correct, should have said butt vs edge....my mistake

George, ok that is good to hear.....i too am leaning towards Baird but am concerned about shipping as you mentioned...i've read posts with goods arriving damaged and the vendor not making good....Baird said if there is damage to take a picture while at the delivery truck and they will make good on it....i have to clarify what "making good" actually means....

I just started looking as i completed a base made of maple and was intending to layer 2 sheets of plywood and top it with a sheet of MDF but am starting to re-think that approach since i spent so much time (and money) on the base.....why not cap it off with a maple benchtop....

amiel gernentz
12-07-2012, 5:44 PM
About 4 years ago I bought a Baird Bros. top. Two years later I finally finish the bottom and unpacked the top and sat it on the base.It was beautiful. No dings or scratches although I probably wouldn't been too upset, it was flat and straight, all I could ask for. If go that route I think you will be satisfied, I know I am.

Jim Matthews
12-08-2012, 7:12 AM
I bought my hard maple bench top from a welding shop that was refitting.

The bottom side was factory fresh.
The only difficulty was trimming to size -
I bought a demolition blade for my circular saw to handle that task.

If you're willing to laminate them, remaindered IKEA countertops can be had cheap.

Ralph Okonieski
12-08-2012, 7:45 AM
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Baird Bros, just a satisfied customer.

I have purchased lumber from them multiple times and been 100% satisfied each time. I have never ordered and had something shipped.

I believe them to be reputable and they would work to resolve a reasonable request.

Their lumber storage area is very impressive in its size and quantity of lumber.

Dennis Petrillo
12-09-2012, 6:09 PM
thanks for the feedback on Baird Bros....I've decided to go with them