PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Found on Criaglist Deal or no Deal?

Bryan Cramer
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
As soon as I had started a thread about new scroll saws the next night I finialy found this post on my local Craiglist. fargo.craigslist.org/tls/3429131456.html
So what do you think deal or no deal? It is not too far away, the price is right, but it looks like it has no vairable speed.

Thanks

Michael Moscicki
12-05-2012, 1:20 AM
Check your pm's. Sent you a link to a helpful place.

The price seems like a deal for an RBI Hawk, but without the model number, I can't be sure. As for variable speed, you can always get an aftermarket controller.

Julian Tracy
12-05-2012, 1:27 AM
How can you have not just bought it? That's a $1500 scroll saw. I just had one I had to sell, it was the first time I'd seen one in person and it was one of the nicest and well built scrollsaws I've ever had my hands one.

Much nicer than the Dewalt I have now or the Hegner I had previously.

That RBI does have variable speed, though at that price I wouldn't care.

Buy it.

JT

glenn bradley
12-05-2012, 6:45 AM
What Julian said.

Bryan Cramer
12-05-2012, 9:23 AM
So it is a good deal even with or without variable speed. Can I put an after market router speed controller on it, will they work?

Joe Angrisani
12-05-2012, 9:38 AM
So it is a good deal even with or without variable speed. Can I put an after market router speed controller on it, will they work?

As Julian pointed out, that saw DOES HAVE variable speed. As several have said: BUY IT. You should be in your car on the way to Fargo right now. :)

Bruce Page
12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Can I put an after market router speed controller on it, will they work?

No. A router speed controller will not work with an AC motor.

Julian Tracy
12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Why is this saw still available? I know scrollsaw's are the truckcap's (notoriously low resale) of powertools, but at $265 it's a get in the car kind of deal. I would've kept the one I had but it was in CA and I'm in MI...

JT

Thomas Hotchkin
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Bryan
If you have not picked up this scroll saw yet. It looks to be a earlier model with two speeds belt drive. RBI was sold about 2 years ago. Here is a link to there wed site http://rbiwoodtools.com/ Its a very strong scroll saw and you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. If it does not have a foot switch pick one up. Tom

Myk Rian
12-05-2012, 1:08 PM
If you have to ask "Should I?" and wait for an answer, you might have lost out already.

Mike Henderson
12-05-2012, 1:20 PM
That's a good price for a 20" Hawk. I see them around here priced in that range, but usually higher, maybe $300 to $350. The 26" Hawk will usually sell for about $400-$450 on Craigslist in this area. The Hawk is a good Scrollsaw. I have the 26".

Mike