PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #5 Birch

Timothy Mann
12-04-2012, 7:36 PM
I know this dosnt compare to most work done here but an accomplishment for me. It is about "7 1/2 x "3 1/4. The original piece was put into the wood bin by my son in law when he was bringing wood upstairs for the night, when I saw it I knew there was a bowl in there somewhere so I saved it from the wood stove. Finish is WTF and Beall buffed. C&C are always welcomed. While reading past threads here on SMC I found a tip on grinding the heel of the gouge down a ways so that it wouldnt burish the wood as badly. This tip helped a lot while turning this bowl. A lot of great information stored on SMC.

Tim Rinehart
12-04-2012, 9:12 PM
Tim, that's a nice bowl...definitely not burn pile material. Nicely beaded base too! Keep em coming!

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 9:15 PM
Pretty nice form Tim......the bowl looks good! Your bowl could benefit from a smaller foot .....lessen the diameter to about 1/2 what you have on it now, and you have a very fine piece here. Of course that is for future reference.....nice work!

Baxter Smith
12-04-2012, 9:28 PM
Nice looking bowl Tim. Keep checking the firewood!:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-04-2012, 9:30 PM
What are you talking about. That's a fine bowl. I would hate you to see my #5. Oh wait, you can't see it. I burned it. Right now you should be trying to make even thickness bowls and learn tool control and sharpening. It looks like you are doing just dandy. Save this bowl and a year from now drag it out and compare it to your new work. That will help you see your progress.
faust

Fred Belknap
12-04-2012, 9:40 PM
I think it is a great bowl and really nice bottom. Remember only woodturners like thin bowls other people don't.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Great bowl and nice bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2012, 7:58 AM
That's nice work Tim - especially for your 5th bowl! I like the slanted rim, it looks like you got the walls consistent and most important - no tearout or sanding scars! Looking forward to seeing #6!