PDA

View Full Version : Recent work

Scott Lux
12-04-2012, 4:19 PM
Been lurking more than usual lately. I haven't had the time needed to really comment on many of the fantastic pieces you guys post.

Oh, I did make time to make a couple things for friends. The cane is for an girlfriend from high school days. She fell and broke her leg pretty badly recently. I asked if there was anything I could do and she said she'll need a cane soon. I can do that!! I think it's pear, slightly spalted, but it could be apple. I need to label things better. The grain does align across the joints (it breaks down into 3 pieces). Finish is polycrylic.

Pens are for my friend and glue source. I haven't paid for CA or epoxy in over 5 years. I think I owe him at least this much!

Comments and critiques welcome.

Greg Just
12-04-2012, 4:40 PM
Nice work Scott. 5 years of glue and you have never given him anything? Now thats a friend!

Michelle Rich
12-04-2012, 5:08 PM
the cane looks sturdy & you did a great job getting the sections straight & true

Scott Lux
12-04-2012, 5:56 PM
Nice work Scott. 5 years of glue and you have never given him anything? Now thats a friend!
oh I've given him and his wife a couple pens, pendants, bowls, and spatulas (spatulae?) over the years. But he wanted to give presents to his team at work. He picked the kit and blank for each and turned the rosewood Sierra and half the buckeye slimline.
Funny thing about that buckeye burl. The other half cracked badly while he was turning it. We glued and clamped, but it exploded when I tried to finish it. I had one spalted buckeye laying around so I used it and some leather dye to finish the job.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Really nice looking cane and pens Scott. Great gesture.

Kathy Marshall
12-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Very nice cane and pens Scott! Nice variety of kits and blanks, your friend should be very happy with them and small price to pay for 5 years worth of epoxy and glue!

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2012, 7:54 AM
Very nice work on everything Scott! Great job on the cane!!

Roger Chandler
12-05-2012, 8:00 AM
All are very well done Scott!

Neil Longhenry
12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Scott, great pens and the cane is just WOW. To get 3 pieces to line up like that and be so concentric is an example of fine craftsmanship.