PDA

View Full Version : new to me lathe missing banjo

Bill Tims
12-04-2012, 2:25 PM
I bought an old Sears Lathe Model# 351.21717 for $200 but it came without a banjo. Sears doesn't have this part for the lathe any more..of course. The opening in the bed is 1 9/16" and the diameter is 15". I'm wondering if I can use a Grizzly banjo. Is there anyone who has a Grizzly lathe that can check the opening on your bed to see if it is similar enough that it would be worth a try? Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I'm just a beginner and don't plan on upgrading to a better setup any time soon so I am looking for a reasonably cheap solution.

Thanks for your time.

Bill Tims

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 2:36 PM
I had that exact same model.......broke a gear shaft on me, and could not find a replacement part anywhere on planet earth. I even tried to get a couple of machine shops to fabricate me a couple......two of them could not, because it took specialized equipment [hobbing machine] and the other one said about $900 to make the part or 5 of them......more than the lathe was new. The drive mechanism is mechanical with gears and not belt driven.....just be aware of that.

I ended up sending the entire lathe out as scrap metal...........that was over 3 years ago........if I had known you would have needed one.....I could have saved the banjo for you! :(

Be careful about the chuck getting stuck on the spindle......trying to take mine off is what broke the gear shaft, and if you will use one of the nylon washers to put on the spindle before you put on your chuck, you can eliminate the sticking issue somewhat.

My unit performed well, but these are not manufactured any longer.......Palmgren made them for sears, but they even changed the headstock configuration to another type motor and such........good luck!

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 2:43 PM
HOLD THE BUS!!! Bill, after my post above, I remembered that I had set something back.....it was the banjo! I had it tucked in the back of a drawer in my shop.....actually, I have two of them. I think I saved them because the handles on them fit my new lathe.

At any rate, If you are interested, I will part with one.......I do not have the toolrest for it, but one can be gotten from packard woodworks.......the post is 22mm if I remember correctly.....or you can take a drill press,and make it into a 1 inch hole to accept many aftermarket rests....it does have the clamp plate on the bottom and the locking handles....send me a pm with your info or phone and we can talk!