PDA

View Full Version : Is an aluminum guide post OK on a bandsaw?

Randy Gillard
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I have an old Rockwell 14" bandsaw (model 28-290) and the riser kit guide post doesn't fit. I need 7/8" hex rod. I can't find it in steel locally, but can get aluminum. Would this be OK I wonder? 7/8" aluminum should still be pretty strong.

Anyone else done this?

THanks

Bruce Page
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
You shouldn’t see any difference in performance. The only slight concern I would have is the threaded aluminum holes (if any) would not be quite as strong as steel.

david brum
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I seem to remember that Iturra Design had Delta hex guide posts in their catalog. Last I looked, they don't have an internet presence, so you have to call them at:
Iturra Design
1-866-883-8064

BTW, your average, run of the mill steel is about 3 times stiffer than aluminum. of the same size (see Young's modulus of elasticity). Your aluminum guide post might have some noticeable flex when fully extended,

Bruce Page
12-04-2012, 2:53 PM
I seem to remember that Iturra Design had Delta hex guide posts in their catalog. Last I looked, they don't have an internet presence, so you have to call them at:
Iturra Design
1-866-883-8064

BTW, your average, run of the mill steel is about 3 times stiffer than aluminum. of the same size (see Young's modulus of elasticity). Your aluminum guide post might have some noticeable flex when fully extended,

I agree, however a 14” bandsaw guide post assembly typically sees very little lateral loading. The difference in performance in this instance would be minor.

BTW, you can purchase 36" of 7/8" steel hex bar for $22.85.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-bars/=kg6jtp