PDA

View Full Version : A little change of pace -3 sided bowl

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 9:39 PM
Been busy when I have time to turn with the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree wood [white oak] and I decided I wanted a little change of pace from that to something else......with the new midi Delta 46-460 I have not had much time on it as of yet, and had an itch that I needed to scratch! :D

Also, Ash is one of my favorite woods to turn, and I had a nice piece on my bench......had to cut it down into a cube for this one.........this is my first 3 sided bowl......kinda neat.......you have to take a cube and cut opposing corners off a little until you can mount it parallel between centers and then go to work.......I like the way this turned out, and still have a little finish work to do on it after the WTF cures for a day or so.

The bowl is 4-5/8" wide and 2-1/2" tall.........this was fun to do!

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
That is a cool bowl. I can see why you had fun. Well done.

Kathy Marshall
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice job Roger! Looks like you got nice consistent sidewalls and sounds like you came away with all your fingers intact.

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks much Bernie! This piece of ash does not resemble most ash that one sees.......it came from a crotch section that had some swirling grain and some plain grain and a couple of limb sockets........sorta resembles some maple you might see, but it is ash.

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Nice job Roger! Looks like you got nice consistent sidewalls and sounds like you came away with all your fingers intact.

I did come away with them intact, Kathy, but I did get them rapped a few times..:eek:.especially sanding! Ouch!:D

Doug Herzberg
12-04-2012, 9:53 AM
That's a nice bowl, Roger. Interesting shape and good execution.

Peter Fabricius
12-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Roger;
That is a beautiful little bowl and very novel. I learned a neat trick from Bob Hamilton about mounting the cube between centres.
You mention that you cut two opposing corners flat to mount between centres.
Here is the trick: take your cube and just mount the two opposing corners in the spindle (MT hole) at the head and in the cup hole of the live centre.
The pressure from the tail stock will put enough friction on the cube to drive it.....
Once you have a tenon cut on both the top and bottom of the bowl you can mount in a chuck.
Neat idea, thanks Bob.
I hope you will try this on your next one.
Peter F.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Roger;
That is a beautiful little bowl and very novel. I learned a neat trick from Bob Hamilton about mounting the cube between centres.
You mention that you cut two opposing corners flat to mount between centres.
Here is the trick: take your cube and just mount the two opposing corners in the spindle (MT hole) at the head and in the cup hole of the live centre.
The pressure from the tail stock will put enough friction on the cube to drive it.....
Once you have a tenon cut on both the top and bottom of the bowl you can mount in a chuck.
Neat idea, thanks Bob.
I hope you will try this on your next one.
Peter F.

Thanks for the tip Peter.......and Bob! :D

Scott Lux
12-04-2012, 4:13 PM
Looks great. I showed the mrs. Now I have to make one. :)

Dave Mueller
12-04-2012, 5:07 PM
Roger,
Nice piece. I especially like the base...very simple - goes with the bowl. I saw a demo at SWAT, but haven't tried it yet. Guess I'll have to try one.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 7:42 PM
Looks great. I showed the mrs. Now I have to make one. :)

Hope yours goes really well......they can be a little tricky, but just pay attention to the angle of attack when going down the inside of the wall........easy to make a funnel with this! :eek:;)

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 7:42 PM
Roger,
Nice piece. I especially like the base...very simple - goes with the bowl. I saw a demo at SWAT, but haven't tried it yet. Guess I'll have to try one.

Good luck, Dave!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-04-2012, 8:18 PM
These should help to get there.
(http://www.youtube.com:watch%3Fv=8oVw70_jAQY.webloc)http://www.youtube.com/user/bobham5
or if you like to take the next step, look here.
(http://www.markstleger.com:Rock-A-Bye%20Box.htm.webloc)http://www.markstleger.com

Roger Chandler
12-04-2012, 9:26 PM
Neither of those links work, at least for me, Leo.......don't know if they are active, but one could copy/paste into the address bar on their web browser.