PDA

View Full Version : Using dye sub printer for regular prints, adjusting color brightness

Amy Shelton
12-03-2012, 8:32 PM
I don't do enough dye sublimation to keep my inks fresh. I'd like to use my dye sub printer to print my Christmas cards this year. The prints always turn out dull until the heat press brings out the color. Is there a setting or ICC profile that would allow me to print it in vibrant colors on regular paper (without having to dye sub it)? I have printed building plans and text and it looks fine, but a photo needs vivid colors.

Thanks,
Amy

Mike Null
12-04-2012, 7:09 AM
Amy

If you can, just use regular inkjet cartridges. Get a better image a whole lot cheaper.

Amy Shelton
12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Mike... I may end up using my regular printer. Since I don't use the dye sub printer often, I thought it would be a good way to keep the ink moving. I ended up throwing away some unused ink last time after the expiration dates passed.

AL Ursich
12-04-2012, 1:53 PM
It is the heads that dry out and plug up in my opinion.... IF you removed your $75.00 per Cartridge of CMYK and put a piece of tape over the port and placed them in a Zip Lock Bag you could save them. Install a $15.00 regular ink Cartridge and use the regular print driver and your printer should be good to go.... Just swap out when you have a Sublimation Job. I could not do that as easy with the Epson R1800 as the Gloss Optimizer Slot has a Light Magenta for 8 color Sublimation. But it could be done....

This would be expensive... But you could sublimate print on Clear MATES using Sublimation and apply it to a card for a Glossy Look......

I did that for some Reflective Stickers and it worked good over white reflective. But the Sublimation will fade over time outside. 4 years later they are still readable but faded.

Good Luck,

AL

Martin Boekers
12-07-2012, 5:28 PM
Why not send a napkin instead of a card? 100% poly napkins are about $.50 if you just want to use ink. ;)

Would be a different twist esp. if you send to clients.