PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1023SL056 Motor on a Delta Unisaw?

Russell Williams
12-03-2012, 6:51 PM
Hello All,
I'm getting ready to purchase a motor for a Delta Unisaw (left tilt, X5 model) and am trying to go the inexpensive route (relatively). I bought the saw without a motor or motor pulley...the saw is otherwise complete. I've read multiple forum posts that a NEMA 56 frame motor can be used with a grizzly motor mount with good results on a unisaw. I am considering purchasing the motor from a grizzly G1023SL (part number G1023SL056) from Grizzly website (I have included links to schematics below ). I am trying to determine if this motor when coupled with the grizzly motor mount, part number P1023SL056A will make this saw functional again. I also do not have a motor pulley and will need to order that from grizzly as well.

I called Grizzly and they were unable to tell me the NEMA category number for this motor, but I was able to get a few dimensions from them. Also of note this motor should have the correct shaft rotation for the unisaw (counter-clockwise) as the grizzly model G1023SL is a left tilt as well.

Overall length 11-1/2”
Height- 8-1/4”
Center of shaft to frame 3-1/2”
Bolt pattern 3” x 4-15/16”
Shaft length: 2-5/16”
Shaft diameter 7/8”

Schematic parts for Grizzly G1023SL:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1023sl/parts

So, my question is ….Has anyone out there successfully used this motor in a unisaw? If not, do any of you have an opinion on the liklihood that it would work for this application? If it can be used in my saw I will be able to get a motor, motor mount and motor pulley for under $300.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

Bruce Wrenn
12-03-2012, 9:49 PM
Over at vintagemachinery.com is an article on "alternate motor mounts for a Unisaw. (I can't remember how to link it.) Shows how to make an adapter plate for a NEMA 56 frame motor. Remember with today's belts, three aren't necessary to drive the blade on a Unisaw, as they were in 1937. You can buy bushings to adapt shaft of motor to different size sheaves. There are a ton of Uni's out there with only a 1.5 HP motor.

Anthony Diodati
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/UnisawAlternateMotors.ashx

Russell Williams
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually had already stumbled upon that article a few months ago. I would really just like to know if anyone thinks the p1023sl056 from the link above would work in the unisaw.

Anthony Diodati
12-03-2012, 10:53 PM
well, they do show it on that page.
I personally have no experience with this .
Di you post or search OWWM. Of course they might object if you mention grizzly.

Russell Williams
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry for the confusion, yes the motor bracket is on that article which is part number P1023SL056A (has an A at the end) vs the motor which has the same part number minus the "A" at the end.
Haha, yeah I did post over at OWWM, and I dreaded doing so because Im sure they are ripping me a new one for wishing to go the grizzly route. I posted earlier today a few people started to reply but I cant check to see them because I think the server is down. I cant access the general discussion forums for the life of me. I really appreciate all of the replies

Russell Williams
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Is anyone else having trouble going to the general discussion forum at OWWM?

Matt Meiser
12-04-2012, 7:26 AM
I don't know but for about $100 more you can buy a Leeson that is made to fit.

http://www.electricmotorsite.com/pc/sglwood_unisaw/120728

I've bought 2 motors from them, including this exact one and have been satisfied.

Russell Williams
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks Matt. It's really more like more like a $160-$170 dollar difference just for the motor. I also need a motor pulley which if I bought one to fit the shaft of the leeson...well the price goes up.

Joseph Tarantino
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
welcome to the world of rehabbing "old arn"! i had my one experience rehabbing a '72 unisw that i got for $40 in gas money and i learned one lesson. these much sought after saws can become money pits real fast and, IMHO, probably aren't worth what some users spend on them. but if i were you, i'd take matt's advice. getting a unisaw motor into a unisaw can be somewhat trying. exerting all that effort and not really being sure if the brackets on the motor will align with the motor bracket in the saw may not be worth the marginal cost of getting a motor designed for a unisaw. my saw had it's original 3hp baldor and it's removal and reinstallation were the most difficult parts of the process.

Matt Meiser
12-04-2012, 5:02 PM
Thanks Matt. It's really more like more like a $160-$170 dollar difference just for the motor. I also need a motor pulley which if I bought one to fit the shaft of the leeson...well the price goes up.

Except you don't need the plate either then so more like $120. Should be able to easily acquire a used pulley on OWWM. Probably have to pay a little more, but you are getting a better motor, you know fits. Even Grizzly must agree its better--they point out the machines that have Leesons.

John McClanahan
12-04-2012, 5:29 PM
[QUOTE= Remember with today's belts, three aren't necessary to drive the blade on a Unisaw, as they were in 1937. You can buy bushings to adapt shaft of motor to different size sheaves. There are a ton of Uni's out there with only a 1.5 HP motor.[/QUOTE]

1 belt for each 1.5 HP seems to be common.

John

Myk Rian
12-04-2012, 5:57 PM
Is anyone else having trouble going to the general discussion forum at OWWM?
That happens all the time. Just have to put up with it and try later.
Server issues.

Russell Williams
12-04-2012, 9:38 PM
Haha, true