PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000HD Miter gauge--dimensions?

Dan Case LR
12-03-2012, 3:23 PM
I'm going to acquire an Incra 1000HD miter soon. It's on the top of the Christmas list my wife asked me for, and if she doesn't get it, I'm ordering one on the 26th. It will be much cheaper than the potential damage from continued use of the stock miter gauge that came with my G1023S. One of these days, I'm going to throw that $&&%!! thing as hard as I can--all it will take is a day when I forget to take my medication and have to cut a compound miter joint on the table saw. That cheap cast iron may be cheezy, but at typical "I've had enough of this &**$!!" velocity, it can be dangerous. :)

Seriously, though, I've declared war on "stuff" piling up on my table saw's extension table, and I'm designing a cabinet to make use of the wasted space underneath with the goal of giving everything I need to use there a convenient place to live when not in use. I want to make a custom drawer for the 1000HD, but I can't find any dimensional information on it anywhere. Can one of you guys with a 1000HD tell me what size I'd have to make a drawer or compartment intended to hold it?

Thanks!

D.

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-03-2012, 5:00 PM
I can't help you with the size, but I can certainly relate with your frustration of a bad miter gauge. Sometimes I think a bad miter gauge is worse than no miter gauge.

Carl Beckett
12-03-2012, 6:18 PM
On mine the miter is 19.5 front to back

Width, not completely retracted by appox 1.5", is 20"

I leave my fence pulled out most of the time, to whatever the last cut demanded. So while you might get it in a 18.5" space I would give extra. Although laying it in the diagonally would help. Or some hooks to hang it then it wouldn't matter. Make sure it's convenient to get to because you will likely use it a lot.

Hope that helps

Btw, a GREAT addition! If for nothing else the convenience of the stops for repeat cuts.

Dan Case LR
12-03-2012, 6:48 PM
On mine the miter is 19.5 front to back

Width, not completely retracted by appox 1.5", is 20"

I leave my fence pulled out most of the time, to whatever the last cut demanded. So while you might get it in a 18.5" space I would give extra. Although laying it in the diagonally would help. Or some hooks to hang it then it wouldn't matter. Make sure it's convenient to get to because you will likely use it a lot.

Hope that helps

Btw, a GREAT addition! If for nothing else the convenience of the stops for repeat cuts.

Thanks, Carl. What's the height including the handle?

D.

Carl Beckett
12-03-2012, 7:00 PM
Will check

And Mreza just posted a pic of his drawer on another thread....

Brent VanFossen
12-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Can one of you guys with a 1000HD tell me what size I'd have to make a drawer or compartment intended to hold it?

Hi, Dan. You'll love the 1000HD. I took a few photos of mine.

Parallax may make it seem the ruler isn't aligned, but I tried to line the edge up to give an accurate measure. While the collapsed dimensions of the gauge itself are about 18 1/2 x 18 x 4 3/4, you will probably set it up so that it's somewhat short of the saw blade leaving room for a sacrificial fence. With that, mine is 23 3/4 wide.

Edit: I just noticed that the clip that locks into the miter slot is not installed at the forward end of the bar. That will add some length to it, but I'm not sure how much.
I'll also agree you will want to keep it handy. I have an open shelf on my mobile base that is about zero inches to the right of the saw cabinet.

Brent

Dan Case LR
12-04-2012, 9:13 AM
Perfect, Brent. Exactly what I needed.

I'm not 100% sure what the final dimensions of the cabinet will be--need to finish the new extension table and see where the legs fall--but after seeing your pictures I'm thinking in terms of a top drawer about 25" wide (inside) to stow the 1000HD and related stuff like blade wrenches, tools for adjusting the miter gauge, Tilt Box, etc.

I'm really looking forward to the Incra miter gauge. Even their lowest-end looks like a great piece!

Thanks!

D.

Carl Beckett
12-04-2012, 4:03 PM
Went back tonight and measured this and see Brent already has it. I was going to say 5" high, but Brent has 4.75 which is likely more precise.

I don't use the sacrificial fence. Maybe should....? I just move mine up close to the blade which has seemed to work fine.

But if you change the miter angle a lot, don't forget to readjust the fence edge or you will cut right through it (ahem....)

If you put all those wrenches, etc, in a big drawer withthis- pick up some of this small plastic or wire mesh baskets from the kitchen department to keep them all from clanking around....

Dan Case LR
12-04-2012, 11:49 PM
And, in a strange but wonderful surprise, I'll have my very own 1000HD on Thursday!

I opened up my Tool Wish List on Amazon this afternoon to make a couple of changes, and discovered that the 1000HD's price had fallen more than $40 since I added it to the list a couple of weeks ago. Current price is $119.99!

Mentioned it to my beloved over dinner and, being a resourceful type who loves a great deal--and having experienced Amazon cranking prices up on stuff left on the shopping cart for a day or two--she said, "Forget Christmas. Buy it now. There's other stuff on your list."

Being an obedient type, I of course ordered it immediately. :)

D.