PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Brace 965N question

Todd Bradley
12-03-2012, 2:27 PM
I recently picked up this 8 inch brace, which I'm guessing was a lower end model, judging by the painted hardwood handles and bearingless chuck. It works fine, but there is no spring attached to the jaws. This means the jaws are just kind of flopping around and it takes a little longer to get the bit adjusted, but now I'm wondering if it is supposed to have a spring. I can't seem to find any detailed information on the web about this model. Does anyone know the answer?

Joe Bailey
12-03-2012, 4:24 PM
based on your description, your brace does indeed sound like a later model. Here is a link to a relatively new (in vintage tool terms) Stanley replacement parts catalog. You may be able to determine what parts you should have based on this:
http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/stanley1967repairparts.pdf

Todd Bradley
12-03-2012, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. It turns out that the Rose Antique site also has a 1958 Stanley catalog showing all of the brace models, with comparisons and descriptions of the features, including the differences between shells, jaws, heads and ratchet types. Very useful information, and interesting. The 965N was a lower end model with alligator jaws, no spring. Still makes a good user for taper shank bits.

Joe Bailey
12-03-2012, 5:43 PM
Note also that though it's a lower end model, it still has a ball-bearing head. Also, it is the nicer of the two 965 offerings -- the "N" signifies nickel plating.
Here's a mint in-the-box 965N 10" model I found a few years back.