PDA

View Full Version : Elusive 2.0

David DeCristoforo
12-03-2012, 1:40 PM
This is the third and last piece of my found burl. I figured that where the first two went, the third might as well follow. Alby Hall pointed out in his reply to my last posting on WoW that there are a million variations on these forms. If anything, I would think that to be an understatement. I am still not over my amazement at how removing the smallest bit of wood at any point along the curve can throw the whole thing off or completely change the overall “gestalt” of the end product. So I simply tried, once again to get a good flow and a pleasing form. The wood kind of decided it's own shape due to some punky areas and cracks that needed to be removed

I was actually surprised at the figure in this piece. I had not seen nearly this much activity from the "outside" and it actually looked to be the least promising of the three pieces. But it “turned out” to have the best figure. 6.5” X 8.5” Walls at 3/16”

Baxter Smith
12-03-2012, 2:04 PM
Great looking wood and orientation of the piece David. A pleasing curve though I don't personally find the curve as sensuous/appealing as elusive #1. Trying to make the wood into something its not is a losing battle.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-03-2012, 2:05 PM
David,
I have always said the width of my pencil line is sometimes too wide. Only the slightest change is noticeable to a critical eye. Your eye is very keen and notices the slightest variation. The funny thing is unless the wood is bone dry it will change from what we intended anyway though the new shape will still be as good. This is a wonderful shape. It is Ellsworth in appearance in that he makes the lower portion of his work wider than the shape that has become predominant on SMC. The burl is gorgeous and you oriented it perfectly. If Nature would comment she would be very pleased at how nicely you enhanced her burl.
faust

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 2:29 PM
That is a pretty piece...the burl grain is really special...nicely done, David.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2012, 5:06 PM
That is quite the showpiece! I really like the form and the wood is absolutely stunning!

neil mackay
12-03-2012, 6:40 PM
[Q. If anything, I would think that to be an understatement. I am still not over my amazement at how removing the smallest bit of wood at any point along the curve can throw the whole thing off or completely change the overall “gestalt” of the end product.

Lol yes even with sanding you can vary it till looks lousy. But I reckon this one is just fine

Nate Davey
12-03-2012, 8:20 PM
Wow, your "spectacular wood divining rod" sure is working well. Another beautiful form. It sure is nice the there is no "One Form" that looks good isn't it.!

Tim Rinehart
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Wowzer, that's a seriously cool piece! I like this form, but the rays in the wood, and how you oriented this are stunning. I gotta say also, your photo work has taken a noticeable jump of recent, not that it was ever bad...just seems perhaps like you've had some great coaching.

Kathy Marshall
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Awesome piece David! Love the form, awesome wood and the rays and figure almost make it look textured. I bet it looks and feels even better in person!

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2012, 11:15 PM
That is a beauty David as is the wood. Really has a lot going on.

Joe Bradshaw
12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
David, you knocked that one out of the park. Beautiful wood.