PDA

View Full Version : New laser - air compressor and ventilation?

Lea Mynah
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I just ordered a Mini 18 30w, and I'm hoping I could get a recommendation for air compressor and whatever I need to vent the system. It's going to be in its own room in our house for now, and I'd like to vent out the back window rather than go through the brick. I saw that I can buy a compressor through Epilog, but I was hoping to find one at a better price. Thanks!

Dan Hintz
12-03-2012, 1:39 PM
Search for my thread on a DIY <$200 air filter and you won't need to vent to the outside...

Randolph Smith
12-03-2012, 4:45 PM
I have been using a Paasche D500 compressor successfully for the air assist. Purchased on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKN8YO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
I vent my Epilog Helix to the outside via 4 inch duct and a an exhaust fan mounted across a basement window. The fan is a Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch line 400 cfm unit controlled by a variable speed controller (SE Electronic Stepless Speed Controller).

Mike Null
12-04-2012, 7:19 AM
That compressor has an auto shut-off. Has it shut itself down during a cutting operation?

Craig Matheny
12-04-2012, 3:39 PM
I run the 1406 compressor from California Air it is quiet and does the job I have it in the same room very quiet HD sells them on line

Randolph Smith
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Not that I have noticed.

Lea Mynah
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
So the "Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch" is the exhaust I should go with then? I think I'm going to order everything tonight. I'm curious about the 4" duct going to a 6" vent. Does that work without any extra attachments? Thanks!

Craig Matheny
12-05-2012, 1:14 PM
So the "Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch" is the exhaust I should go with then? I think I'm going to order everything tonight. I'm curious about the 4" duct going to a 6" vent. Does that work without any extra attachments? Thanks!
you will need a simple adapter from depot in their ventilation area not expensive at all

Randolph Smith
12-06-2012, 5:32 AM
Yes, that works well for me. As Craig mentioned, you will also need a 4 inch to 6 inch adapter for the duct. In my installation I have a 6 inch elbow attached to the fan, then the 4 to 6 adapter, then 4 inch duct back to the Epilog. Make sure to mount all of the ductwork securely so that it doesn't rattle. Tape all the duct joints with aluminum tape - not duct tape. The fan is quite powerful and runs quietly. I mounted a vent hood on a piece of acryllic in which I cut an exhaust hole and 4 mounting screw holes. I used this acryllic to replace one of the galas panes in the small basement window. The vent hood keeps the rain and critters out of the duct.

Mike Null
12-06-2012, 8:15 AM
That is also the connection I use.