PDA

View Full Version : weak test fire

Bert Kemp
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi
I have a 40w laser I'm trying to align the mirrors but when I test fire the laser I get a very small dot on test paper after I hit the test button several times. The tube has less then 1oo hrs on it so what could cause a weak fire.

Martin Boekers
12-03-2012, 1:08 PM
It would help if you say what type of laser you have. Alignment is crital for optimum performance. Make sure all mirrors are aligned,
if one is out you can still center the beam, but it may have less power if one is marginal, Is the dot round or oval? Why are you assuming
you laser is firing weakly? Has it been working fine and all of the sudden losing power? Some lasers need a warm up time could that be an issue?

Just a few things. :)

Bert Kemp
12-03-2012, 2:33 PM
Its Full spectrum Laser, it was working fine then it started having inconsistent burns where some areas would be ok and other area not burned enough. When I test fire on the first mirror I get a very small round dot after I fire 5 or 6 times.

Martin Boekers
12-03-2012, 2:56 PM
That's good the dot is round, not familiar with your laser, how many mirrors do you have? Does the tape test burn in the center of the lens assambly where the laser
beam travels?

Mark Sipes
12-03-2012, 3:05 PM
Is there by chance a setting which allows for the adjustment of the test fire output. Trotec does.

Dan Hintz
12-03-2012, 4:52 PM
Redo an alignment (though if you're getting inconsistent burns on your first mirror, skip that test and read the next part). If that doesn't fix it, your tube and / or power supply is going belly up.

Bert Kemp
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
it has 3 mirrors the dot is very small and in the 5oclock spot. this is the first mirror right next to the tube

Bert Kemp
12-04-2012, 10:10 AM
yes I can up the test fire time which I did a couple of times I have it set at 10ms

Bert Kemp
12-04-2012, 10:14 AM
read the next part??? Dan not sure what your telling me here. I am trying to align the mirrors. The first mirror is stationary right next to the tube. This is were I'm trying to get my first test fire dot. which is very small round dot, almost like you just touched the paper with a pencil point, and its at 5oclock on the mirror.This laser is brand new less then 100hrs on it.
The reason I think its weak as when I first got it home I had to align them and I got a pretty good size burn mark on my test paper.

Greg Facer
12-04-2012, 3:29 PM
Hi Bert,

Could be our laser is going, time is a variable on these things! My (latest) 150w tube, rated for 8-10,000 hours lasted less than 1 hour! The description of the dot doesn't sound promising in that it is so small.

Having said that, 10ms is a pretty short time for a 40w laser, and you haven't said what power level that's at. Try more power or longer perhaps?