PDA

View Full Version : Any way to remove marks from antique white veneer dining table?

jill wright
12-03-2012, 9:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I came across your forum this morning while searching for info on removing marks from veneer dining tabletop. I purchased a dining set last nite from someone on craigslist. After getting up this morning I am able to see many marks and rings on the table when the light from windows hits it. It looks like cup rings and maybe dish/plate marks on one side more so than the other. I am wondering if anyone has any helpful advice to remove these or diminish the look. They are not as noticable in the evening or even when sun is not shining on them but it is still bothering me as I just paid $300 for the set... The table top itself is mdf and that is why I believe the finish on top is veneer. The chairs, legs, and side pieces(aprons?), are all hardwood it seems. could those be veneered also? Is that possible with all the intricate detail? Anyway, I've included a couple pictures. First is of the view from end seat looking down at end with marks. Second is chip in the middle by seam that makes me think it looks like a veneer. Thanks for any help!

Jill

jill wright
12-04-2012, 9:40 PM
Any general advice would be helpful...

John TenEyck
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Try posting this down in the finishing forum. I'm sure you'll get some help from the folks who troll around there.

John

Todd Burch
12-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Pictures aren't real great for assessing the overall condition of the top. The first picture makes me think the table is maple (per the amber cast of the part in the sun), but the second picture makes the top look white and grungy and painted (poorly). Can you tell what the rust-looking spots are? Paint splatter?

Based on what I can see, I would start with a stiff cleaning / degreaser.

If the rings are due to moisture (and they usually are), swiping denatured alcohol across them sometimes will get rid of the cloudiness. With a damp rag (the alcohol), go across it like a plane landing and then taking off again. As the alcohol evaporates, it pulls the moisture from the finish. However, if the rings are from chronic wetting, the finish may be gone there, or, the finish may be damaged. Have you tried any furniture polish? (one with a very mild abrasive?)

Yes, the chip makes me think it is veneer too. The aprons are probably laminated up like a piece of plywood Look, from underneath, at the edges of the aprons to check for plys. Chairs I would expect to be solid wood. Looking under the top, you should be able to confirm MDF. Lots of tables made with MDF. Veneer is just thin real wood, so it can be sanded and refinished. For $300, for that size table and 4 chairs - that's a deal already! Did you get any leaves?

Todd

EDIT: Apparently, I am unable to read titles of posts - this is a white table. With that confirmation - it looks like the top has gotten wet at some point, perhaps from being stored outside. I would sand 'er down and repaint if you want white. Cant' tell for certain, but the veneer in the second picture, at the corners, looks like it has lifted some. You can work some glue in there, sand it smooth, peel off the loose veneer around the chip, scuff it good and fill it with a wood filler, fix any other flaws, and spray a lacquer on it - it will look great.

Harry Hagan
12-05-2012, 9:59 AM
Jill,

Based on your description, the table top is veneered MDF that has been painted to look old with a process called “antiquing”. Stripping the paint will remove this process but it can be reapplied. Antique furniture is generally considered to be 100+ years old. MDF mass production began in the 1980s.