PDA

View Full Version : Wixey WR510 Question

Brent Romero
12-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I am thinking about installing a Wixey WR510 on my 22-590 Delta planer. Anyone have any experience with a DRO on their planer? Is it really a timesaver?

Thanks in advance.

glenn bradley
12-03-2012, 12:01 AM
I got addicted to the DRO on my lunchbox planer so, when I upgraded: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147491-Digital-Readout-on-Grizzly-G0453Z-Planer

IMHO it is much like a router lift, folks who say they're unimportant don't have one. If it is one thing, it is a time-saver even if you just use it to zoom in within a 32nd or so and then fine tune from there it is very nice to have. Like many such accessories; the benefit will vary depending on what you do and how you do it. Like the DRO on my tablesaw, I have adjusted the way I approach things based on having the DRO so, I would loath going without :)

david brum
12-03-2012, 12:54 AM
I agree-DROs are really nice on planers. They eliminate the guess work of planing a board, checking it with calipers, planing more, etc. Assuming that you've set it up properly, you get very accurate, repeatable cuts. I no longer plane boards that are accidentally 1/32" too thin. I also put them on my drum sander and shaper.

Brent Romero
12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys. I have a 22-590 Delta planer....not sure if the DRO is mountable as Delta changed the design from the 22-580.

:mad:

david brum
12-03-2012, 3:57 PM
I doubt if your planer would be too difficult to attach a DRO to. Plenty of people use them on bigger planers, which the Wixey wasn't really designed for. You just have to be creative. There are lots of photos on the Wixey site showing DROs mounted on various planers.

Alan Lightstone
12-03-2012, 4:11 PM
I really like the Wixey DRO I installed on my Laguna jointer/combo planer. Plus the one I installed on my router lift. And the one on my drum sander. Nice addition to the table saw too.

I find they have added to all the equipment I've put them on.

Michael Mayo
12-05-2012, 7:53 PM
I have a Delta 22-680 15" planer and installed a Wixey on it. The first one was defective but Barry sent me a new one and that one seems to be alright. My particular planer isn't really designed to accept the DRO but there are pics on their site of people who installed them on this planer and I followed those pics to install mine. It works pretty well but it is annoying and frustrating as i have to constantly fiddle with the DRO mounting to keep it accurate. The hardware included in the kit isn't very sturdy for this application and as such it makes it move too much to stay dead on perfect so I find i have to calibrate it often and check it frequently to be sure it is reading accurately. When it is calibrated and accurate I love it and it definitely makes planing more enjoyable and faster.

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2012, 4:37 PM
I've had mixed luck with the Wixey product. I had the model previous to the current one and it worked well, but sucked batteries. So, when they upgraded to the current one, I paid for the new readout. Like Michael, I find this one finicky. I have yet to get it to read the same as my digital calipers. It's not out by much, but it's still annoying. Wixey has offered to replace it, but the cost of shipping it back and forth to Canada simply isn't worth it. Mine is on a DW735.