PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Logs

Sonny Kemp
12-02-2012, 1:32 PM
Will logs that have been cut and let lay, for a year or more, be cracked all way through ,or can the ends be cut off and be usable ?

Reed Gray
12-02-2012, 1:46 PM
It depends. Depends on the wood as every type dries differently. Some will turn almost into toothpicks, while others just have end checks on the logs. This can vary a lot on your local weather. Hot and dry, more cracking, more humid and cooler, less cracking. If you have a log, cut off a couple of inches and see what is in there.

robo hippy

Richard Coers
12-02-2012, 6:35 PM
Depends on the species, and climate in the area. Wet area, or lots of rain keep them in pretty good shape. They will have internal stress all the way through if they lay that long, but some will have more cracking than others. I've seen walnut sitting on the ground so long the sapwood is rotted off. Beautiful wood inside, minor cracking. I've seen cherry that is full of cracks in a few months. But nearly all have some cracking. Large logs let you work around the cracking, small logs make for small blanks around the cracks. General kind of question, general kind of answer.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2012, 8:02 PM
Will logs that have been cut and let lay, for a year or more, be cracked all way through ,or can the ends be cut off and be usable ?

Like was said, it depends where the log is/was laying all that time, it probably isn't ALL THE WAY through though.

If you want to turn it, cut it up some, you'll be able to tell, but have a close look, splits/checks aren't always obvious.

Poplar/Willow/Catalpa and a few more would probably have very minor splitting, Apple/Cherry/Beech and fruit wood in general will very likely have a bunch of checking, but like I said at the start, IT JUST DEPENDS :)

Robert Henrickson
12-03-2012, 8:03 AM
Also would depend on what shapes and sizes you hope to turn. Even if big bowls are impossible, smaller hollow forms or something else might be feasible.