PDA

View Full Version : How much do I need.

Mark H Anderson
12-02-2012, 1:15 PM
Morning all. I am just starting to get back into wood working (as a hobbyist) after a 35+_yr break. I've tackled the table saw issue and I'm looking to add a drill press and band saw to the collection. I'm pretty sure I'll go used on both these items as I kinda shot the wad on the T/S.
The question is this. As a hobbyist, I'm thinking the biggest thing I'll be doing is 8 or 10 sets of chair legs on the band saw and a bunch of mortising on the drill press. How much HP and bells and whistles do I need. I realize more is better but with a restricted budget do I need all the goodies? Your thoughts please.
Thank you
Mark

Joe Angrisani
12-02-2012, 2:06 PM
.....I realize more is better but with a restricted budget do I need all the goodies?....

Not at all. I'd look for a used 14" clone bandsaw, like the Grizzly 0555 family. And some kind of 16-17" drill press with little or no slop when you try to rock the chuck. (perhaps a Jet 17"). A few, maybe $400 for the saw, and well under $200 for the drill press.

Now the Mustard Yellow guys came chime in and insist on $1800 saws and $2000 drill presses.... ;)

Mark Ashmeade
12-02-2012, 2:25 PM
Not at all. I'd look for a used 14" clone bandsaw, like the Grizzly 0555 family. And some kind of 16-17" drill press with little or no slop when you try to rock the chuck. (perhaps a Jet 17"). A few, maybe $400 for the saw, and well under $200 for the drill press.

Now the Mustard Yellow guys came chime in and insist on $1800 saws and $2000 drill presses.... ;)

I've got a Powermatic jointer, planer and just sold a couple of PM table saws. So I am definitely a mustard yellow guy.

However, my drill press is a $150 RIDGID, and my bandsaw is a cheap Grizzly. The RIDGID bandsaw might be a good buy used, but some of them are atrocious for vibration. If you get a good one, they're great, and inexpensive. Get a bad one, and they're a dog. Caveat Emptor. In an ideal world, I'd get the genuine 14" Delta.

For the DP, I would go for a used Jet or Delta, unless you get lucky and score a new one on clearance or something.

Stephen Cherry
12-02-2012, 2:54 PM
I would definitely go used. I don't even consider new when thinking about machines. First of all, in many cases older is better, and also older is cheaper. That said, there is good old stuff and bad old stuff. And how old is always a good question.

For a small saw, the delta 14" saw can be bought for a song. I think that they make some newer, no good versions, which are to be avoided. I've seen older ones for 250. The beauty of this is the the next guy would likely pay about what you would. Any bigger, and I would go Italian. Bridgewood imported some fine italian saws which now sell pretty cheap. (PBS540 and 440?). These would be similar to laguna, but 25-30 percent of the cost.

As for a drill press for mortising, how about a mortiser for mortising? I've used a big floor mounted machine, so I'm a little spoiled, but the smaller ones work also. And a router can be made to cut a decent mortise also.

The number one rule for used machines is to be patient. Look every day, and don't be too surprised when your machine pops up. Also, don't be afraid to make an offer. If something is not selling, it never hurts to politely ask.

AND I FORGOT, THE BEST PART ABOUT BUYING USED IS THAT IF IT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT, YOU CAN GET OUT OF IT WITHOUT LOOSING YOUR SHIRT.

Jim Neeley
12-02-2012, 4:37 PM
Mark,

If your reason for buying the DP is to cut mortises, consider purchasing a used desktop mortiser today and a used drill press later, when needed. The mortisers are far more ridgid and easier to cut mortises with.

Jim

Jim Andrew
12-02-2012, 5:23 PM
I don't see your location posted, so if you are like me, in Kansas, look up the Grizzly catalog online as the pickings on craigslist and nextech are pretty slim. I did get a Griz drill press used, for half price of new. Sometimes garage sales can be good, but often they want near new for good tools. I've been watching for months for a used planer, and today a 12" powermatic 3ph unit showed up. Too bad it's too small for my needs. If one doesn't show up soon plan to order a new Grizzly.

Jay Rasmussen
12-02-2012, 7:41 PM
Mark,

If your reason for buying the DP is to cut mortises, consider purchasing a used desktop mortiser today and a used drill press later, when needed. The mortisers are far more ridgid and easier to cut mortises with.

Jim

I second Jim's response, if you want to do a bunch of mortises don’t go the drill press route.

Myk Rian
12-02-2012, 7:53 PM
A clone band saw like the Grizzly? Why not go for the real thing.
Look for a Delta 14".
Drill press? Again, a Delta. Something like the DP220 model.
Both machines were made better than anything you'll find on the market today.