PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Noise

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-01-2012, 9:13 PM
Hello everyone, I purchased a used Unisaw 3 months ago and put it away in storage till I had space in my garage. I was finally able to bring it home yesterday and I noticed a clanking noise coming from the saw. It sounds just like the noise in this youtube video especially between the 0:08 and 0:14 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVU0ur-nMCo
What’s odd is that if I was to lower the blade completely and apply pressure to the handle when it’s reached it’s lowest point the noise would get slightly louder. I used compressed air to blow out all the packed saw dust and lubricated the gears inside as best I could with WD-40. The noise is there no matter if the blade is tilted, lowered completely or raised to it’s peak. Can anyone help?

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Can't do the video, but a sound of a UNI is the "clunking " upon start and stop.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
It emits a sound like a piece of loose metal rattling against another metal surface.

Carroll Courtney
12-02-2012, 6:18 AM
Maybe take the belts off and start it up to see if noise is still there.Help take the motor out of the equation,narrow it down to maybe new belts,bearings,etc.You may also need to check to see if the set screws are tight on both pulleys and that they are running true.Sometimes little helpers beat on pulleys,warp them then clsoe their eyes and put the saw back togeather.Just guessing and trying to help---Carroll

Michael Koenig
12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
check the fan on the motor mine came loose and sounded like that

Joe Angrisani
12-02-2012, 12:54 PM
It's always hard to describe sounds to another person, but to me, the YouTube video noise between 0:08 and 0:14 sounds like blade noise as it comes up to speed. Try running it without a blade, or try another blade, or try putting some Scotch tape over the tiny slots cut in the blade itself, to see if the noise or it's pitch changes. From what that video shows, my bet is on the blade.

Ryan Baker
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM
It doesn't sound like my Uni. It sounds to me like the blade (or arbor, or belt, etc.) is rubbing on something. The fan on the motor is another possibility. You should be able to find something rubbing without too much trouble. I wouldn't run that thing much until you find the problem.

Jeff Duncan
12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
I couldn't pick up the sound from the video, but if it sounds like loose metal rattling you should be able to get in there and start grabbing things and trying to find what's loose. I also agree with removing thiings one at a time to try to narrow down the focus. Remove the blade and check, remove the belts and check....etc etc.

A couple other things FWIW, you have an LOT of stuff on the top of your saw, besides the danger factor there's a lot of stuff that could rattle and throw off your hunt for noise. Also be careful when using compressed air to blow things out. You can do more damage than good by doing so. Compressed air can blow dust and debris past bearing seals and ruin your bearings. I recommend keeping the PSI's pretty low and using a vacuum to remove as much as possible.

Luckily Unisaws are pretty simple machines so with a little time and patience you should be able to get her back in good running condition!

good luck,
JeffD

Joe Angrisani
12-03-2012, 11:25 AM
....Also be careful when using compressed air to blow things out. You can do more damage than good by doing so. Compressed air can blow dust and debris past bearing seals and ruin your bearings. I recommend keeping the PSI's pretty low and using a vacuum to remove as much as possible......

Yessireebob.....

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-03-2012, 2:26 PM
Let me start off by saying THANK YOU to all who took the time to respond to my thread and offer some insight. Next let me say that the video I posted is NOT mine. I came across it on Youtube and posted it because the saw in the video was making the exact same noise like mine. With that out of the way let me give you guys a update. I removed the top off the saw and turned it on to try and pin point the noise. I used a long piece of wood as shown in the step-by-step tutorial by the Saw Center and pressed it against several parts inside the saw while it was running. While pressed against the arbor bracket the squealing/rattling noise came through loud and clear (other end of the wood was pressed against my ear). After removing the belts and taking off the arbor bracket I turned the saw on again and the sound was gone. I called my local Delta Service Center to ask for a quote on getting the bearings replaced and I was told that I need to bring it in. My next option is to mail it to the Saw Center and wait a week or more to get it back. I would change the bearings in the arbor myself but I don't have a bearing puller and the bearings cost $40.00 each. Anyone know a cheaper alternative on where to buy the exact same bearings? If I can find the same exact bearings for a good price I can probably grab a cheap bearing puller from Harbor Freight.

Gregory King
12-03-2012, 2:34 PM
Isn't this the type of bearing install where the arbor bracket gets heated and the bearing chilled in dry ice to install? I think the industrial mechanics did such an install at my workplace. Greg

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-03-2012, 3:25 PM
Isn't this the type of bearing install where the arbor bracket gets heated and the bearing chilled in dry ice to install? I think the industrial mechanics did such an install at my workplace. Greg

I'd like to see a how to done up on this method! If I can save a few bucks by not buying a bearing puller for a one time use I'm open to it.

Matthew Kenney
12-03-2012, 8:58 PM
Dimitrios,

I just replaced the bearings on my Unisaw arbor. You do not need to buy bearings from Delta. If your saw was made in the last 40 years, you almost certainly need 6203 bearings. I'd get 6203zz bearings, which are sealed. I bought mine from a local motor repair shop. You can get them off Amazon, too. You should be able to check the number on the bearing in the bracket to confirm the number. That one comes out easily. As for a puller, go to Harbor Freight and get the 4 pullr set. That's what I did. For the bearings and pullers, I spent less than $40. You can use the puller to put on the new bearing, too. If you go this route, let me know and I'll answer any questions you have.

Matt Kenney