PDA

View Full Version : Oooops!

George Bregar
12-01-2012, 8:36 PM
I'm getting close to completion of my shop and used my Unisaw for the first time. I was ripping some "rustic oak" flooring and hit a loose knot which the blade shot out like a rifle bullet. Guess what's right behind my saw? :mad:

I will be replacing the window with a slider/screen anyway so no big deal. I just boarded it up for now. But I'm going to have to install a track to drop a board in when I'm ripping. Funny thing is that prior the thought occurred to me that "if I ever have a kick back that window is toast". :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2012, 8:54 PM
George.......don't you just hate being right? LOL!

Glad you weren't hit.

Dick Mahany
12-01-2012, 8:55 PM
Sheesh that must have been scarry! Looks like it blew the table off your bandsaw too :D

Might want to go with polycarbonate rather than glass for the new window. Good luck.

George Bregar
12-01-2012, 9:08 PM
Sheesh that must have been scarry! Looks like it blew the table off your bandsaw too :D

Might want to go with polycarbonate rather than glass for the new window. Good luck. The bandsaw table is being "derusted" at home. And I thought of your suggestion. We'll see. I have the cutout for the window still. Happened too fast to be scary...PING CRASH :D

Carl Beckett
12-02-2012, 6:52 AM
I'm getting close to completion of my shop and used my Unisaw for the first time.

Ironic that this happened on the very first test cut!!!

George Bregar
12-02-2012, 9:32 AM
Ironic that this happened on the very first test cut!!! Well maybe I shouldn't say that it wasn't a test or my first cut. Is it ironic if it was actually my last cut of the day? Because it was. :D

Don Jarvie
12-02-2012, 9:55 PM
I've taken out two panes so far since the doors are behind the saw. I plan on putting plexiglass over the windows to prevent this from happening again.

Ole Anderson
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
George I was guessing a pic of you with 5 or 6 stitches and a big bruise as you, too, were most likely behind the saw. Glad it was "just" the window. I bet you watch for loose knots from now on!

Brian Kincaid
12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
That is scary. Glad it didn't hit you!
-Brian

Michael Weber
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Real woodworkers stand directly behind their saw cuts so the kickback hits them thus saving the important things in the shop. Just kidding. I second Brian, glad it didn't hit you.

George Bregar
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
George I was guessing a pic of you with 5 or 6 stitches and a big bruise as you, too, were most likely behind the saw. Glad it was "just" the window. I bet you watch for loose knots from now on!I was behind the saw but of course not behind the blade. I actually finished the cut. I could hear the glass break through my "ears." So all is well. Thanks all.

Don Jarvie
12-03-2012, 1:15 PM
Those little pieces usually go flying and hit something you don't want them to hit.

Jerry Bruette
12-03-2012, 6:21 PM
Be sure to post pictures of damage when something bounces off the polycarb window back into the shop.

Jerry

ray hampton
12-03-2012, 6:27 PM
It's are too bad that we can not buy transparent sheet of rubber to replace the broken window glass, the rubber pane would stretch instead of breaking