PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Coffee Tree Holowed Form

BILL DONAHUE
12-01-2012, 7:33 PM
This is from a 6" x 6" x 6" Kentucky Coffee Tree blank I bought from Century Tree Turnings at the Georgia Woodturning Symposium. Had never heard of this wood and after getting home looked it upon the net and the consensus was that it wasn't good turning material. Even the esteemed John Keeton said as much. This piece, however, was some of the best wood I've ever turned, maybe because I soaked it for 24 hrs. in a soapy solution after rough turning it. Based the form on some turnings I've admired by John Landon. After turning it I thought it looked somewhat bland so I got an idea from some of Baxter Smith's work that I also admire very much and used some patinating wax to highlight the grain. Made the mistake of buying a can of patinating wax from one of the woodturning suppliers for $29 only to find out that shoe polish is just as good. Not happy with the bottom part of the finial but will make up for it on the next piece.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2012, 7:39 PM
Bill - I think your Coffee Tree wood looks great! Good looking grain! I have to agree with you that the bottom portion of the finial is a little smaller than I think it should be... but that is just an opinion. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 7:42 PM
Bill......that one is a looker for sure. I like the filled in grain...it really pops! Nice overall form.......the finial could use a little tweaking, but this is a fine piece of work. You should be proud of this.........I know from personal experience.......when we don't achieve perfection it is deflating......at least I am my own worst critic, when I do not get something just like I had envisioned it, but again, this is excellent!!! Perhaps you are a bit like this as well.......take heart, this is very good!

Nice job!

Doug W Swanson
12-01-2012, 9:26 PM
Bill, like the others said the finial might be a little small at the base but it's still very well done. What you did with filling the grain really looks good. Great job on the finish, too.

Nothing to be ashamed of here! Well done!

John Keeton
12-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Bill, nice work! I like the wax application.

"Esteemed"......hmmmmmm..... you might be one of the few that would use that word. Most preface my name with a scattering of profane expressions!!!:D

Coffee tree seems very prone to windshake in my experience. Were it not for that, it probably is a nice wood to turn. One I have found to look similar is catalpa (perhaps not quite as warm in color), and it turns VERY well, and seems very stable. I believe Mike Smith has, or at least had, some of it and if you get a chance you should try it.

Kathy Marshall
12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks great Bill!. Really nice warm color in the wood and I love what you did with the grain filler.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2012, 11:06 PM
That is a beauty Bill. I agree the bottom portion of the finial could stand to be larger.

Baxter Smith
12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Very distinctive grain Bill. Looks like it was a very good choice for the wax. I like the little round shape!