PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck?

Mike Cruz
12-01-2012, 6:20 PM
I've been seeing these new chucks (new to me, at least) popping up on Ebay. They are called the Hurricane HTC 125. They look mammoth. Price is quite reasonable. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them... Looks like a Vicmarc knockoff. Bigger than the Stronghold AND the Vicmarc 120. :rolleyes: Thanks.

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 6:45 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417h5ehpx-L._SL500_AA300_.jpghere is a pic......don't know anything about it Mike, but I would like to hear from any users who have it. Here is some info from another site......they also have a 4" HTC 100

All Feature :

5" (125MM) Diameter
This chuck is made from steel with a chrome plated body and black anodized jaws. The basic chuck includes Standard Dovetail Jaws, Screw, 6" Long Chuck Key, Allen Key for removing the chuck jaws and your choice of one threaded insert.
includes Standard Dovetail Jaws, Screw, 6" Long Chuck Key, Allen Key for removing the chuck jaws and your choice of one threaded insert.
The backplate is indexed in 24 positions.
Please note that this chuck is designed for full size lathes. In our opinion, it is too large and heavy for mini/midi lathes. Check out our HTC100 4" chuck which is great for for Full / Midi / Mini lathes.

Steve Mawson
12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
$199.99 for the 5" one doesn't look like a
bargain to me. I see bidding starting lower but buy it now is $199.99 plus shipping.

Jason Clark2
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
I'd be willing to bet that they're a rebranded/renamed PSI Barracuda2 and Barracuda4. Personally I'd steer clear.

Jason

Mike Cruz
12-02-2012, 7:20 AM
Steve, I'm not saying that they are necessarily a bargain. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I've got 3 Strongholds, and don't really need another chuch anyway. Just saw it and it raised a brow...

Jason, the Barracudas are not indexed. Also, it has a different drive. So, I don't think it is a Barracuda...

As for rebranding, I have two of the ones that Grizzly sells that are Vicmarc knockoffs. I've seen them directly against a Vicmarc. They work just fine... So, even if they are a knockoff, that wouldn't scare me away IF I were in the market...

Phil Rose
12-02-2012, 8:27 AM
I see them on Amazon as well... $169.99 for the 5" plus shipping. No experience with it either.

Mike Peace
12-02-2012, 4:08 PM
Without any idea what other jaws are available, if any, or if it can use jaws from another specific chuck, why would anyone be interested in this off brand chuck? The Nova Titan that can use any of the Nova jaws would be a much better buy IMHO. I have the Titan and like it. It is a massive chuck.

Mike Cruz
12-02-2012, 5:06 PM
Interesting view, Mike...

From their Ebay site:

This Chuck Kit includes Standard Dovetail jaws but other jaw sets are available in our ebay store.The following jaws can be purchased separately in our ebay store

Large Dovetail jaws

Step Jaws

Extended Dovetail / Spindle Nose Jaws

Pin Jaws

Jumbo or "Cole" Jaws

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2012, 8:12 PM
I just don't want to take chances for a few measly dollars, that chuck I use is holding a potentially lethal projectile, so I just go with what I consider the best all around chuck, a Oneway in my case :)

Mike Cruz
12-02-2012, 8:34 PM
By all means, Leo, I agree with you whole heartedly. I have no stake in this chuck. May or may not even be interested in buying one. I was merely asking if anyone had any experience with it. And again, for the record, I purchased the Grizzly Vicmarc knockoffs and they've worked great. I did have an issue with one (or was it two...) that didn't run true. But sent it/them back and got good ones.

Anyway, I do find it interesting that instead of curiosity and intrique, there is a...wall...going up regarding them. Without any input from anyone that has used one, it is simply being dismissed. Just because it is an unknown name or one hasn't yet used it, doesn't make it inherently bad. That said, it might be a POS, I don't know. That is why I was asking about it...

Jeff Nicol
12-02-2012, 9:53 PM
I have seen these around and of course they are most likely Chinese made, but I don't know. But a chuck that is used properly and kept clean and maintained will work well no matter the brand. I have an old Nova chuck that uses "Tommy" bars that I have had for 8 years and it is still going strong, I have 2 Barracudda 2 chucks that have never given me one bit of trouble and I have 2 Oneway strongholds that are super. But like anything if you are trying to overload the chuck and try to over tighten them, you risk failure, so pick the right chuck for the job and make sure your tenon or recess is cut to allow the best use of the jaws you are using.

Proper technique and knowing the limits of your tool will help them perform at their peak! Even a Corvette can be beat by a ratty sleeper with a big high HP engine under the hood!

Jeff

Jason Clark2
12-02-2012, 11:26 PM
My barracuda2 did come with one of the square drive keys as shown in the image. This was 6 or 7 years ago (it also came with inserts for 1" x 8 and 3/4" x 16 only). I threw it away when I got my first Supernova and I haven't looked back. I'll pass on this one too.

Jason

Mike Cruz
12-03-2012, 7:33 AM
So, your judgement of this chuck is based on a different chuck that you didn't like by a different company...okay.

John Keeton
12-03-2012, 7:46 AM
Mike, perhaps the resistance comes from not knowing anything about the manufacturer, as it seems these are being sold through resellers. And, given the price - $169 - 199, with one set of jaws, it could be that folks feel better about buying the Barracuda4 from PSI at $199 with 4 sets of jaws. Just thinking out loud, I guess. I am a Nova guy, but I do believe there are multiple brands of excellent chucks out there.

It would be nice to hear from someone that has used the chuck, but it just doesn't seem to be well priced given the perceived lack of manufacturer's warranty and backup, or at the least, not much information about that. Maybe that has deterred folks from buying and thus, no one posting with experience with this one.

Maybe you will get some feedback from a user - be patient.:)

Mike Cruz
12-03-2012, 8:37 AM
John, you couldn't be more spot on. I wasn't asking "would you buy this chuck". I was asking if anyone had experience with it. And seemed to get some responses that were based on lack of knowledge of said chuck. This isn't a Barracuda4 (for better or worse). It IS much larger than a Stronghold; larger than a Vicmarc 120...the largest chucks made by two of the leading chuck manufacturers. So, at $169 for a mammoth chuck, it is (MIGHT be) something to consider... I for one, don't want/need a chuck that comes with multiple sets of jaws. I need only one set of jaws per chuck (I hate changing out jaws). So, 4 sets of jaws means I paid for 3 sets I don't need (and at the usual $20 plus per set of jaws, that means I spent at least $60 more than I needed, or even that I bought a $140 for $199).

I have NO stake in this chuck. I'm not plugging it as a great chuck. Not even as a GOOD chuck. I have NO idea whether it is great, good, or junk. Honestly, I'm not arguing FOR it in any way. Rather for not dismissing something that hasn't proven to be worthy of dismissing. That said, I'm not running out to buy it. It IS made in Asia, though not many (if any) chucks are made in the USA. If I have to buy from another country/area other than USA, I'd prefer Canada or Australia over Asia.

I, too John, hope to hear from someone that has used one. Not that I am waiting with baited breath to hear something fantastic. Rather that I would like to hear an honest opinion from someone (or better yet, multiple people) that has used it.

I've got 3 Strongholds. I've purchased two used and one new. The one that was new was the worst one...out of the box. I had to take it apart and remove all the grease/packing junk they put all over it to actually be able to spin the key without a fair amount of effort. If that was the first one I had owned, I'm not sure what my review would have been like of one of the most respected chucks on the market. But at least my review and opinion would have been from my experience WITH that chuck, and WHY I did or didn't like THAT chuck. Maybe that is typical of new Oneway chucks. Maybe the one I got had an extra thick coating. I don't know. I can say the chucks are great.

Eventually, some of these chucks will make it into the market. Eventually, we might hear about how good or bad they are. It may take some time. It may never happen. We'll (I'll) have to wait to see...

Jerry Marcantel
12-03-2012, 9:17 AM
I'm always up for looking at new products, but normally don't have the bucks to purchase any of them. In my long and non illustrious life, I've been exposed to a large variaty of products encluding the manufacture of some, and have cluttered my brain by retaining that information.Now;
Here is my take on their fearures that Roger posted. The second feature states; "This chuck is made from steel with a chrome plated body and black anodized jaws."
As far as I know, aluminum is the only metal that can be anodized. If in fact they are made of steel, whoever described the features doesn't know what they are selling.... I'm not bashing the chuck. The only thing that would make it not a good tool would be out of round to which it could never be brought back into tolerance, and if the gear device was not hardened, it would start showing problems within the first few time you use it. Other than that, it's in the same price range as others, and it's up to potential customers whether they want to purchase it or not..... Jerry (in Tucson).

Mike Cruz
12-03-2012, 9:37 AM
Hmmmm, Jerry, that is info I am/was not aware of. Good point, if for no other reason than either the jaws are aluminum or their marketing department isn't all together with it. I'll do some research... I'm sitting here icing my knee at the computer. I'm a bit "captive" right now...

EDIT: Jerry, I just did a quick Google check and it seems that you can anodize steel. Though it does seem alumimum is most common. I put in a question to the seller/manufacturer regarding their composition.

Steve Fulgoni
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Steve and I am the seller of Hurricane Turning Tools. I have been a woodturner for 25 years. I am President of an AAW Chapter and have used and owned every chuck on the market. I have Powermatic lathes and a big Nichols lathe. We have probably met at many of the AAW symposiums over the years. I am an engineer an own a large musical instrument business. But woodturning is my passion so this past year I set a goal to try and develop a line of woodturning tools that are great quality but reasonably priced. I introduced Hurricane Turning Tools. Our first line of turning tools is an imported line of HSS tools, so far the response has been great. I am working to develop a USA line of superior steel tools. More on that later. Our second product line is the Hurricane Turning Chucks. I believe these these chucks compare to any of the major brands. Our HTC125 is slightly larger and heavier than a Vicmarc VM120 and much larger than the Oneway Stronghold. Look at the jaws of the HTC125 compared to the Vicmarc... much larger for more stability. The HTC100 is suitable for mini lathes as well as full size lathes. Right now we have 6 jaw sets including Cole jaws and more are on the way. I am looking to find a US source to make my jaws so we can offer the largest selction of jaws anywhere, this will take some time. Why the reasonable cost? 2 Reasons. 1. Because we sell direct and don't have multiple layers of markup. 2. I am very happy to get a great tool in turners hands without charging $300 for a chuck. Please don't judge them if you haven't tried them, there is too much negativism around. I will offer a full refund with full return shipping cost to anyone who doesn't think they are worth .... trying to do a good thing here ... really. Steve

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Steve,

Are the jaws and the scroll gear on the chuck of steel? If so, it looks like you have a good product and a good value.

Steve Fulgoni
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi again guys, I replied to another question within this thread, giving some info on the chucks. I wanted to reiterate here that the jaws are steel, not aluminum. Even the Cole Jaws are steel, not aluminum.

I am working on getting some Youtube videos up for you to see a little better. Alan Lacer used the HTC100 in my shop last month without any complaints and Avelino Samuel just ordered one

Steve Fulgoni
12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Roger,

Yes, the jaws and scroll are made of steel. On the ebay listing you can see a comparision of the HTC125 to the Vicmarc VM120. The jaws a quite a bit large than the Vicmarc even though they are both 5" chucks. There is much more surface area on the HTC jaw plate and the mounting holes are a bit wider too, for greater stability. Many people have asked me if the jaws are compatible with other chucks and they are not compatible with Oneway, Vicmarc, Axminster, etc. That was not our goal. We are looking forward to making a large selection of custom jaws made here in the USA

Mike Cruz
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
First of all, welcome Steve to SMC. Hope to see you around more.

Second, thanks for your input and story.

Third, I have NO association with Steve. I did not ask him to post here. This NOT any sort of slid in advertising. Apparently, Steve must have caught wind of this discussion (oddly enough, it comes up quite quickly on Google) on his own.

Roger Chandler
12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi Roger,

Yes, the jaws and scroll are made of steel. On the ebay listing you can see a comparision of the HTC125 to the Vicmarc VM120. The jaws a quite a bit large than the Vicmarc even though they are both 5" chucks. There is much more surface area on the HTC jaw plate and the mounting holes are a bit wider too, for greater stability. Many people have asked me if the jaws are compatible with other chucks and they are not compatible with Oneway, Vicmarc, Axminster, etc. That was not our goal. We are looking forward to making a large selection of custom jaws made here in the USA

Thanks for the reply Steve.........sounds like you have a good product, and we look forward to hearing more as they become part of turners arsenal of tools.........nice to have you here at "the Creek!" :)

robert baccus
12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mike. And Steve for the enlightenment--good info for all. A little knowledge is dangerous yeah.

John Keeton
12-04-2012, 6:47 AM
I notice Steve joined SMC a year, so I suspect he was aware of this thread if he actively follows the forum. I feel his response here has been appropriate, and informative given the nature of this thread. Mike quickly picked up on the potential problems here. I would caution Steve, and others, that this is as far as he can go on this topic without violating the rules on advertising. Please direct any further inquiries to him privately.

Thanks, Steve, for chiming in and perhaps you will favor us with some pics of some of your turnings - always good to have another participant!