PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #1530 hand drill disassembly and repair

John Padgett
12-01-2012, 6:06 PM
After searching for a few months for a shaft for my #1530 Stanley drill, I finally got one to fix it. It belonged to my grandfather and the shaft got bent during a move. A big thanks to Jim Koepke for the parts. Without him I would still have a wobbly drill bit due to a bent shaft.

The first thing to do is remove the handle by unscrewing the ferrule from the drill. Then unscrew the chuck as pictured below.

On the handle end of the drill, remove the threaded nut from the tool.

Grab the threaded end of the shaft and push the shaft up into the drill about 1 inch. On the other end (handle end) you will find a c shaped retaining clip. Remove the clip and grab the threaded end and pull the shaft back the other way all the way out. If you are careful you will not disturb the gears at all. If they do fall out it is kind of a pain to get them aligned again.

Then slide the replacement shaft in until the other end comes out, and replace the retaining clip. Grab the threads again and pull until it stops. Replace the nut on the handle end. Then you can put the chuck and handle back on.

So now I have a working drill again. Sorry if I left anything out or explained to much as this is my first time writing. Again thanks to Jim Koepke for the parts. Any questions I would be happy to answer.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2012, 8:45 PM
Glad it was an easy fix and that it works for you.

jtk