PDA

View Full Version : closet door knobs

Dave Fritz
12-01-2012, 5:06 PM
What hardware do you use to mount your lathe made closet door knobs? I glue in an insert and use a bolt from the back but it keeps unscrewing. I don't want to glue it on. What would you do?

Thanks,

Dave F.

Jim Burr
12-01-2012, 8:03 PM
1" spindle cored out with a screw drilled thru the top. Screw your blank on to the screw and turn away!! This courtesy of Mike Peace!! I think he just posted something related to this...different chucks or ways to chuck blanks...good video!

Dick Mahany
12-01-2012, 9:29 PM
1" spindle cored out with a screw drilled thru the top. Screw your blank on to the screw and turn away!! This courtesy of Mike Peace!! I think he just posted something related to this...different chucks or ways to chuck blanks...good video!

+1 on Jim's suggestion courtesy of Mike Peace. The method Mike demonstrated works beautifully. Not to divert the thread, but if you have any questions about holding anything, I suggest viewing his excellent video produced earlier this year.

James Combs
12-01-2012, 9:36 PM
What hardware do you use to mount your lathe made closet door knobs? I glue in an insert and use a bolt from the back but it keeps unscrewing. I don't want to glue it on. What would you do?
Thanks,
Dave F.
Jim and Dick have good advice for securing your "blank" to the lathe but correct me if I am wrong but it sounds to me like you already have the knobs made and are trying to mount them to a door??? If so that would call for different advice.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2012, 9:49 PM
When the knob unscrews, it is likely because users are twisting the knob. I had a case like that, and added a short steel pin to the back of the knob, plus a hole drilled into the door for the pin to fit into. The door hole doesn't have to be particularly accurate. The pin just needs to go into it, to prevent the knob from being unscrewed. The modified knob still mounts with a machine screw from the back of the door.

Dave Fritz
12-02-2012, 9:16 AM
Thanks for that tip Jamie. Yes, I have the knob made, just can't keep it on the door.

Dave F.