PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what's up with the Delta 46-460?

Victor Robinson
12-01-2012, 4:13 PM
I've been looking at the Delta 46-460 for a while, and suddenly it seemed to go out of stock everywhere. This seemed to coincide with an increasing number of reports of lack of availability of failing parts, most notably the switch. It's even backordered at CPO Delta.

Does anyone know if it has been discontinued, or if they are simply producing new units with a change? I know a few retailers have a couple in stock (including a decent deal with stand included), but I'd rather not go with those units if there's a change afoot. I'm guessing this has to do with recent shakeups at Delta regarding manufacturing and what not, but just wanted to see if anyone had more info. This will be my first and only lathe for a long time, so I'd like to make the right purchase.

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 4:22 PM
I just got a new 46-460 this week. I got one of the last two CSUSA had in stock. The shipping date on the lathe is Dec. 15th from what Delta is telling their dealers. Delta has been purchased by a company in Anderson, SC and they are working to get the parts and service issues that they have been experiencing during/before the transition worked out.

I was told by reps from two companies that Delta has assured them the 46-460 will continue to be made, and they have sold a lot lately with the free stand promotion they have been having. I tried to get one closer to home through a Delta dealer and also through Packard woodworks......both were out of stock and both told me it would be Dec. 15th before Delta was shipping the units again, so thus they are backordered until then........hope this helps!

they did change the on-off switch on the unit.

Nate Davey
12-01-2012, 4:39 PM
I know Delta just had a big promotional sales, so maybe the shelves are empty!

Richard Coers
12-01-2012, 5:39 PM
Their Facebook page talks about finishing a new distribution center. Maybe it's not finished enough to ship? Did they change ownership again? Or still the same Taiwanese company?

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 5:43 PM
Stanely Toolworks bought out Delta/Porter Cable, then Black and Decker bought them out, and sold.......not sure, but I heard that Delta went back independent, and now I hear this company [don't know what the name is] purchased them and they are in Anderson, SC.........got that from someone who I tried to get the lathe from.......do not know how reliable that info is, but it is the second time I have heard it.

Victor Robinson
12-01-2012, 9:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's safe to go ahead and get in the queue and expect mid to late December delivery. The deal with the stand is decent enough...around $680 shipped. It used to be just a year that this lathe was on Amazon for $580ish (or a little more with a good rebate), so the free stand takes a bit of the sting out of the price increase.

Roger, how do you like yours?

Roger Chandler
12-01-2012, 9:32 PM
Roger, how do you like yours?

So far, after two turning sessions, I am fairly impressed with the machine. Very good quality machining on the unit, good power, especially for a small lathe [small is relative in terms from turner to turner, I have a large lathe as well] and has really good features.......

I put what I thought were fairly heavy cuts for a midi lathe, and did not bog down the unit......not to say that I couldn't, but the power was impressive for the size and the quality is surely there.