PDA

View Full Version : I get back pain from turning

Dave Vollmer
12-01-2012, 3:22 PM
I about 5 years ago I adapted my lathe so I could sit down and turn (bad Knees) Then about a year ago my sciatica really started to get bad while sitting and turning and the pain would last a month or more after one section of turning. I stopped turning at that point, but I find that I miss it terribly. I have used a stationary stool, an office chair that has wheels, lifts up and down etc. any ideas from those that suffer from sciatica and what has worked for you.

Dave

Jim Burr
12-01-2012, 3:28 PM
Sciatica is real easy to treat Dave. Have you looked at all the treatment options to improve your pain? On the equipment side, a seat wedge may help or try a gel cushion.

Harry Robinette
12-01-2012, 3:38 PM
Like Jim B just wrote get a wedge cushion with a horseshoe shape hole removed from the center back.I got mine from that magazine
Doctor Lenards I believe it's called.

Michelle Rich
12-02-2012, 6:11 AM
I have had many back surgeries, and understand back pain. My way to handle it was to use my Nova 3000..the head rotates & I can make bowls looking right into the bowl from a seated position. So any of the Nova's would work for you. Check out Oneway..they have a sit down lathe. (pricey)

Michael Stafford
12-02-2012, 8:24 AM
I had some pain in the coccyx area and found a cushion called a coccyx cushion which has a cut out in the rear so that when you sit there is no pressure on the middle of buttocks just on the larger cheek areas. It helps somewhat but with repeated use it loses some of its resiliency. We found the one we use at a home health care store. They come is a variety of densities and prices. This is one of those things that I believe spending the extra money is worth the extra comfort.

Thom Sturgill
12-02-2012, 8:55 AM
... So any of the Nova's would work for you. Check out Oneway..they have a sit down lathe. (pricey)
Oneway's lathe bed rotates so the ways are vertical (side to side) instead of horizontal, so hollowing with a rig is apparently a big problem. IIRC Robust has designed a sit down lathe where the bed raises and lowers. A club member that is wheelchair ridden has been looking at them. He currently uses a Jet with a swivel head like Michelle.

David E Keller
12-02-2012, 9:39 AM
Sciatica symptoms can result from nerve irritation at several different locations, and it's not always easy to treat. Stretching, core strengthening, and weight loss may all be beneficial. Eliminating nicotine has been shown to help(if applicable). Medications and injections can be helpful in treating the symptoms. Surgery has a potential role as well. Sciatica is not a singular diagnosis... Rather, it's a descriptive term for the symptoms that can result from several different conditions.

Reed Gray
12-02-2012, 1:51 PM
Every thing from having your wallet in your back pocket, to muscle stress can irritate the sciatic nerve. Getting up to stretch once in a while is good. Thai Chi is good. Anti inflammatory meds are good. Most physical therapy will include a host of stretching exercises. If nothing else, you turn for a bit, then do some thing else for a bit.

robo hippy

Marvin Hasenak
12-02-2012, 2:11 PM
From someone that landed up in a wheelchair because of a bad back I would recommend seeing a Doctor. A wheelchair sucks, at least the Doctor has me getting around with a cane and a walker.

Kirk Miller
12-11-2012, 9:48 AM
Dave I can undertand your situationm. I have a multitude of health issues that impact my life. I alternate between sitting standing and taking breaks. I have resigned myself to slowing down and taking turning for what it is a form of relaxation.