PDA

View Full Version : Scraper plane or card scraper?

Dan Forman
04-24-2005, 2:56 PM
I am getting ready to place an order with Lee Valley, looking at their scraping plane and/or card scrapers with holder. Wondered if any of you had thoughts about these tools. I understand that some very high angle wooden planes can be used as a scraping plane if the blade is reversed, so that would be another consideration. I will be working some with figured woods, quilted and curly maple. If I get the scraper with holder, would I need (want) the plane too? Would this bring a piece to a final finish without sanding? I will be purchasing a few other planes, a low angle jack, Primus Reform smoother, and med shoulder plane. A LN 60 1/2 is already on the way. With these other planes in the arsenal, would the scraping plane be needed?

Has anyone used their Variable Burnisher for card scrapers? Gimmick or good idea?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Doug Shepard
04-24-2005, 3:13 PM
Well I just got the LV Scraper plane about 4 wks ago, but haven't used it yet. Temp in the shop should let me put it to use next weekend. So I can't tell you yet which works better for flat stuff yet. I expect the plane to do better due to the thicker blade. But I've often found myself using card scrapers to follow curves and get at other small areas - something you won't be able to do with the plane. I think they've both got their uses, and you might want both. I have LV's holder and it is nice for decreasing hand fatigue and heat buildup. What the heck - it's only money, right?

Mark Singer
04-24-2005, 4:11 PM
The scraping planes are more difficult to control. I would start with card scrapers....and a regular burnisher...You will need a file also. It is a fundamental shop tool and you can always add the scraper planes later.

Steve Cox
04-24-2005, 5:09 PM
They all have their different and perfect uses depending on what you run into. Last question first, if you are working with figured maple and other figured woods, you will need scrapers. In my experience planes give too much tearout on figured woods. Of course, if I had an infill plane that might be different:rolleyes: . A scraper generally will not get a piece to a final finish. It is most generally said to equal about 220grit sandpaper. The cut is not as smooth as a plane. If you are working a large area like a dining room table then the scraper plane would be a good choice. I would start with the scraper holder first as it is more versatile IMHO. A card scraper without the holder would be my first choice actually.

Rob Millard
04-24-2005, 9:17 PM
Dan,

I have the scraper plane. The LV scraper plane is one of three such tools from various manufactures I've had and the only one that worked. Even though it works, I use it as a last resort, preferring to use the LN 4 1/2 with a high angle frog, for difficult woods. With that said, when I need it, I need it badly and it is a great tool. It much better than my c. 1925 Stanley No. 80, and far more accurate than hand scraping, which unless done carefully will leave hollows.

I don't know anything about the holder, other than it looks like a good idea. As I write this my thumbs are sore from scraping inlays flush on 3 Federal sewing boxes, and I think the holder may have made that job easier.

Rob Millard

Jim W. White
04-25-2005, 6:21 PM
I have used the Lee Valley Scraper plane on my last two projects which involved birds-eye maple and fiddleback maple. I think this is a very high quality plane. The finish it produced on the fiddleback maple inparticualr was awesome.

http://www.myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/scraper1.jpg

Dennis McDonaugh
04-25-2005, 6:41 PM
Dan, I vote for the card scraper. I have a Stanley 112 and it works reasonably well although it can be finickey to set up at times. The one good thing about it is it doesn't use a burr on the blade. The card scrapers are easier to use although there is a learning curve to drawing a hook on the edge. I have the LN set and the different thickness blades are nice. I find myself using the thinner one most of the time. Finally, I only sharpen two sides because the short sides are kinda hard to use. They are cheap enough that I have several sets and sharpen several at one time.

Michael Perata
04-25-2005, 8:15 PM
as anyone used their Variable Burnisher for card scrapers? Gimmick or good idea?
Dan

Gimmick. Save your money and use a chisel or drill rod.

James Carmichael
04-25-2005, 8:41 PM
Gimmick. Save your money and use a chisel or drill rod.

Ditto. If you're worried about using a chisel, either damaging a good chisel or damaging yourself with the sharp edge, buy a $3.99 set from HF, or use those old plastic-handled Buck Bros that if you're like me, you bought at HD before you knew better.

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 2:52 PM
Thanks to all who repied to my question. I will pass on the LV scraping plane For Now, not that I wasn't moved by Jim's lovely slab of maple, but will see how the Mujinfang smoother works with blade reversed before jumping on the LV.

Sounds like the card scraper would not be redundant, so will get some of those as well.

Dan

Steve Inniss
04-26-2005, 3:11 PM
Dan,
I suggest the set of 4 LV scrapers - about $12 or so - great and hand hold them. Just finished a maple shaker table using them which I'll post elsewhere. No one can take their hands off it. -Steve