PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! Check out this new Stanley Chisel set

Clarence Martin
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Found it on the Stanley tools website. It looks nice !!!

16-401 - Bailey® 5-Piece Chisel Set

Bill Houghton
12-01-2012, 9:05 PM
Interesting - they must have decided that the Sweetheart chisels weren't competing well enough in the market. They seem to have decided, based on price point and appearance, that they need to compete with Narex chisels. Hmmmm. Entertaining that they used the Bailey name - I don't recall that Leonard or any other Bailey had patents on chisels.

The final test is always the steel. The one review seems to compare them to "low priced [European] chisels." The price is certainly attractive.

george wilson
12-01-2012, 9:14 PM
looks like a German made standard set of chisels,especially those handles.

Brett Robson
12-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Wood Magazine has a test of a bunch of different chisels in this months edition. They knocked the Baileys for poor balance and poor edge retention but liked the leather tool roll.

Clarence Martin
12-02-2012, 8:55 AM
Did the article happen to say how the Two Cherries chisels rated?

Mel Fulks
12-02-2012, 9:54 AM
The test I'd like to see is whether or not there is any difference at all between the steel in the new line and their other current line. Had an acquaintance years ago who worked for a bourbon company that had a cheap brand and a premium brand. The products were the same,but the bottles were different.

Bruce Haugen
12-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Entertaining that they used the Bailey name - I don't recall that Leonard or any other Bailey had patents on chisels.

Stanley must've adapted the Bailey lateral adjuster to the chisel. :D

Brett Robson
12-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Did the article happen to say how the Two Cherries chisels rated?

+edge retention
-out of flat back
-difficult to flatten backs
-"thick, globby finish" on handles/uncomfortable handle

Bruce Haugen
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
+edge retention
-out of flat back

I have a set of Hirsch chisels, virtually identical to the Two Cherries except for the label. I'd agree with the article's assement, except that neither the out-of-flat back nor the uncomfortable handle matter that much to me. The back can be flattened and the handles modified or replaced. Only the quality of the steel is important to me, and the Hirsch take and hold a decent edge. For the price, they're hard to beat.

Jim Koepke
12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
For the price, they're hard to beat.

I have a mallet made from about 2' of tree trunk that can likely beat the snot out of them. :eek:

jtk

Jim Koepke
12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
The test I'd like to see is whether or not there is any difference at all between the steel in the new line and their other current line. Had an acquaintance years ago who worked for a bourbon company that had a cheap brand and a premium brand. The products were the same,but the bottles were different.

The Stanley 750s are socket chisels. The Bailey chisels look to be tang chisels.

My preference for socket chisels is very strong. Perhaps if my skill was better at replacing handles on tang chisels my accumulation of tang chisels would be bigger.

Bailey did make chisels under the Defiance name before Stanley bought him out. Seems Stanley was buying out Bailey every few years.

jtk

Clarence Martin
12-02-2012, 2:54 PM
+edge retention
-out of flat back

Were those the same ones with the mirror like finish ? I got a Two Cherries chisel set from Rockler some years ago and they look perfect.

Brett Robson
12-02-2012, 6:13 PM
Hmm, I looked at the article again and I don't see where they said that. The Pfeil's are reported to have a "mirror-polished finish" though. The Two-Cherries are described as having "...hornbeam handles and polished blades." I've no experience with them myself though, just citing the article.

They did seem to like the new Stanley 750's though, along with the Pfeils, Veritas, LN's and Blue Spruce sets.

Harlan Barnhart
12-02-2012, 7:23 PM
They must be good, the cardboard packaging says they are "extra sharp".

Jake Elkins
12-02-2012, 7:36 PM
These have been around for a while. I bought a set at a local Menards for about 40 bucks. My previous chisels had been Far-East Marples and a couple of Narex bench chisels, so I am by no means a pro. But I have been very satisfied with these, and are my go-to for most dovetail work. The edge retention is better than the Narex chisels, and the backs on all 5 required just minor lapping to remove machine marks. I like the size of the handles and the overall balance. They do tend to roll on the bench, especially the smaller ones - I wish they had made the handle less-round. But overall, I have liked them.